Topics moving themselves on my board

Started by The Parson, November 07, 2018, 08:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Parson

New install at http://mandela-effect.us/forum/index.php. When a new post is made, the actual topic will change it location/priority on the board. I've never seen this before. How can I stop that?
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Illori

you need to upgrade to SMF 2.0.15 first then see if the issue is resolved.

The Parson

Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

The Parson

Error with the package:
An Error Has Occurred!
Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Kindred

Are you trying to use the PATCH file -- or are you trying to apply the full upgrade via the package manager?
(if the second...   that's won't work. Use the patch package)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: The Parson on November 07, 2018, 08:38:26 AM
New install at http://mandela-effect.us/forum/index.php. When a new post is made, the actual topic will change it location/priority on the board. I've never seen this before. How can I stop that?
The default order of topics within a board is "by last post, in reverse chronological order" so unless I misunderstood you, what you describe is how it is supposed to work.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

The Parson

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on November 07, 2018, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: The Parson on November 07, 2018, 08:38:26 AM
The default order of topics within a board is "by last post, in reverse chronological order" so unless I misunderstood you, what you describe is how it is supposed to work.
No you misunderstood me. The actual section the post is in moves to the top.
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ah, alright - then carry on. I have seen that happen myself, and I do believe it should be fixed in current versions.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

The Parson

Tried the upgrade. Deleted the entire board and started from scratch. It may have something to do with the theme I was using.
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

The Parson

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on November 07, 2018, 10:36:36 AM
Ah, alright - then carry on. I have seen that happen myself, and I do believe it should be fixed in current versions.
You get an "E" for effort though. Thank you.
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Arantor

That's nice, being mean to people trying to help.

Anyway, updating to 2.0.15 won't fix this, the last fix for this type of behaviour was in 2.0.8 and it hasn't been seen since to the best of my knowledge except on systems that didn't patch properly.

Also, I don't see any evidence of the described behaviour when going to your site, but maybe the posts in question are not in public boards.

It would be helpful to know which mods you have so that we can possibly rule out something there. Though I find it interesting that you have what looks to be a new install that's two versions behind. Not sure what grade for effort I'd give that...

Illori

and now the forum at the posted URL no longer exists... so I guess the issue at hand has been resolved.

Steve

Quote from: Illori on November 07, 2018, 10:50:39 AM
and now the forum at the posted URL no longer exists

Seems to be there today.
DO NOT pm me for support!

The Parson

Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Glad to hear that, what fixed it in the end?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

The Parson

Getting it up to SMF 2.0.13. PHP on my server is too low right now to update to 14 & 15. Thanks for all the help by the way.
Webmaster for:
The Forum Post Exchange

Advertisement: