A list of attached files...

Started by diegolyanky, November 11, 2018, 06:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Could someone reexplain what this mod does?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

diegolyanky

It's supposed will provide a list of attached files on a forum.
With the functionallity of can search trought filenames of attached files.

But it's still on developing... Can you help?  :)
SMF ... SimpleMachines ... Simple, but complete if you want it ;)

Arantor

What does that offer that 2.0's admin panel doesn't?

vbgamer45

He is looking for a way for normal membergroups to view the information.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

diegolyanky

Biology Forums

@arantor, I don't think that mod has a search feature

I think what you should do instead is create a checkbox in the search template that specifies you want to search the table that houses the attachments only -- that is if your members actually give their uploads meaningful names and titles. Then, create a function within search.php that only searches that table and presents the results normally. Of course this is just an idea, not a blueprint but that's how i'd approach it rather than creating dedicated template files, etc.

shawnb61

Wouldn't there be permissions issues?  Attachments should honor board permissions, correct?  If you don't have permission to see the board, you shouldn't see the board's attachments.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Arantor

I continue to be amazed at how "just add a checkbox" conveniently ignores the rest of the actual complexity, and I don't think solves the problem either.

shawnb61

For some types of  forums, I think the ability to navigate attachments would be extremely helpful. 

This is how I approached it on my forum.  Far from perfect, but functional:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24401.0

A nightly batch job updates this post & also puts out a .csv with the same content who want the additional ability to search/navigate in Excel. 

This only works for my forum because the permissions are flat (it's either public or not, & I filter out attachments for "backstage" boards) and because the # of attachments that meet my search criteria (patches) is relatively small (<4000).   

Speaking of big posts, that's a big post... 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Biology Forums

I mentioned it's NOT a blueprint. Obviously there would be a boat load of coding front and backend. The checkbox idea would be a miniscule template modification.

Arantor

Yes, with the intent of "reducing work" when in reality it would be better all round (and less work) to not try to modify the search code.

diegolyanky

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 01, 2018, 10:59:49 AM

This is how I approached it on my forum.  Far from perfect, but functional:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24401.0

I would like to have that on my site. Where can I get it?  :o

shawnb61

I've been thinking about this.

Limitations:
- No documentation, as I only really use it internally at the moment. 
- The install package I've created only works for 2.0.x. 
- I haven't put licensing info in it, as I wasn't sure I'd distribute it.  It's more a toolbox than a mod. 
- As noted earlier, "flat" board permissions.
- As noted earlier, < 4000 attachments suggested.   

If you're OK with these limitations, I'll put it up on Github.  If there is more interest, I'll add documentation. 

Advertisement: