News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unable to edit/remove certain member groups

Started by adriaan, November 13, 2018, 09:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adriaan

Using a full administrator account, I was going through the list of member groups, editing some settings and removing some defunct ones. However, some groups seem to be 'frozen'. I am able to add or remove members to these groups, but I'm not able to edit the permissions or settings of these groups and also can't remove them. Everytime I try this and press the Save button, the browser stays put on the page, with the settings bounced back to what they were before I tried to change them. When I click the remove button, the page simply reloads and nothing happens. I have been able to change most of the member groups, there are only some of them for which this constantly happens. As said, I use a full admin account so this shouldn't have anything to do with my permissions, and there is nothing to be found in the error log. Can anyone help?

Arantor

Did you add raw HTML to the membergroup names at any point in the past?

adriaan

Arantor

Him, it's the usual reason this happened where people tried to style the colours of groups by doing that or putting images in.

What groups were you trying to remove? Administrator, Moderator and the bottom post count group cannot be removed, neither can Regular Members.

adriaan

I am aware of this, those aren't the groups I was editing/removing.

It is possible that there has been BBcode in the name of the groups in the past, before the time I was moderating/adminning this forum, but there's nothing in there now and for some it's very unlikely that anyone has ever tried to 'colour them up', so I don't think so. But I can always try, is there a way to undo the 'damage' a past potential BB-tag has done onto a member group?

Arantor

Bbcode wouldn't cause this, it's the < and > that cause this kind of problem.

Have a look in the database in the membergroups table, see if any entries have anything like that in them. Also look for entries with " in them.

Advertisement: