Host Deactivated SMF - database too big. Safe to delete posts in MySQL??

Started by maggymaesmith, November 17, 2018, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggymaesmith

GD-Daddy said the database is too big.  No warning, just made it unavailable.  Cannot log into the forum to delete posts.

Is there a safe way to delete posts in php-MyAdmin? They say they are planning to check the size again in a few days and if it is still too big, it is toast.

I searched the forums for posts on deleting from the database but didn't find anything that helps much.

vbgamer45

Are you sure it is posts?
Check your smf_log_Errors table.

in phpyadmin you should see the size of each table.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

maggymaesmith

That was really helpful.  Thank you so much.   

Is it ok to empty?

I have another database question.  The SMF was built from VB tables years ago.  Is it safe to delete those?

vbgamer45

smf_log_errors is safe to empty.

VB Tables yes safe to remove. If in doubt do a backup first.

I would not touch other SMF tables.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

maggymaesmith

vbgamer45

If your error log is big. I would look into why errors are getting logged. And try to get those fixed.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

maggymaesmith

Will do.  Although, the forum is many years old... I don't think the error log has ever been purged.

I looked at another forum on the same server and researched the most common error and it seems to be related to PHP 7.2 - so I've bumped PHP down to 7.1.

vbgamer45

sounds good. Yeah SMF 2.0.15 works well with PHP 7.1 that is what I run my forums on.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just a note, now that you have already bumped heads with GoDaddy, you may want to prepare yourself for a move to another host.
GoDaddy is just bad, and you will undoubtedly have trouble ahead with them if you stay, even if this particular trouble could be fixed simply by trimming the database.

How big is your database by the way?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SMiFFER

I found that the "post-edit-history" for each post can also take up a lot of memory.

Example: If you keep a forum-log like I do to keep track of all changes you made, then this one post can well have hundreds of changes - each saving a backup of the previous version.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Looking

QuoteGD-Daddy said the database is too big.
That dreaded host again. This is definitely the answer:

Quote from: AleksiJust a note, now that you have already bumped heads with GoDaddy, you may want to prepare yourself for a move to another host.

Advertisement: