New install

Started by Coyote Keith, November 18, 2018, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote Keith

Just did a new install of SMF 2.0.25 in a new sub directory created on my active forum. The install when without error but when I load the site, there is not graphics and the menus are just vertical text links.

I'm sure it's something simple but would appreciate some insight on what to look for.

Thanks,

Gary

Are the paths set correctly?
Are the any errors in the error log?
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Coyote Keith

I don't see any errors in the log and I do believe the paths are correct. They are the same as my working forum with the added /subdirectory  added to the end. The install program detected them but they look right to me.

Coyote Keith

The themes directory's are not right. Does the install.php not populate those?

Kindred

Use repair_settings.php

On some servers, there is an issue and the localhost 127.0.0.0 gets put in instead of the actual url
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Coyote Keith

Yeah that's what it did. I already ran repair settings and it's all good. Thanks for your help.

Coyote Keith

Another question. I did a fresh install, verified working, and then copied the current database over top of the new install DB using PHP Admin. I then ran repair settings to clean up the "settings" table in the new install.  The new forum just gives me a blank page now.  What else needs to be changed when copying the DB over?

Or is it just easier to copy only a certain list of tables from old to new?

Thanks

Kindred

No... tables are interrelated.

It should have worked...   but a blank page indicates a php error. What does your errorlog say?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Coyote Keith

If you mean the Error Log from the DB file, I don't know as I have already wiped the DB to start over.

So I should have been able to just take the fresh install, Drop the tables from the new DB, copy the old DB over to the new one, then run repair settings?

I can try again if you say that should work OK.

Again, thank you all for your time.

Kindred

As long as the database is from the same version set as the install, yes... (e.g. both are at 2.0.x)
Слaва
Украинi

Coyote Keith

Both installs are the same SMF version 2.0.15
I will try again.

Coyote Keith

For whatever reason, it worked this time. Thank you.

Coyote Keith

Boy I'm having trouble copying over my existing DB to a fresh install. It worked once but now it's not working again.

I'm taking a fresh install (verified working) and copying over the DB (same version) using PHPMyAdmin. Then I run repair settings to correct the paths on the new site.

When I go to look at the new site, I get nothing at all (on Firefox) and on IE I get a 500 server error. There are no errors in the DB error file.

Not sure what to look at to get this to reliably copy over.

Kindred

Look at the sever error log
Слaва
Украинi

Coyote Keith

This is resolved now and I have the site successfully move over. The issue was being caused by something in the Themes table.  When I moved the DB over, I preserved the Settings table and the Themes table from the fresh install. Everything worked fine after that. I have no idea what was the issue though.

Thanks for all that helped me. Really appreciate it. Cheers.

Kindred

Well, that was your problem.

when you import a database, you should drop ALL tables in the database and then do your import of the saved database into the now empty database.

Using tables between different installs is a sure way to screw things up
Слaва
Украинi

Coyote Keith

Good to know, thank you.  I know just enough to be dangerous.  ;D

Advertisement: