How to prove user has used paid subscription to PayPal to prevent refund?

Started by mnn2, November 26, 2018, 10:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnn2

How to prove user has used paid subscription to PayPal to prevent refund?

We have this kind of dishonest user that filed refund at PayPal after he has enjoyed the paid premium content for months.

Now refund has been granted and how do I fight back against such dishonest user in the future?

I think since this is a core feature, SMF team should do something about it.

vbgamer45

Not much you can really do with paypal on non physical goods. You can have them sign an agreement works 50/50. Or send something physically.
SMF can't really do anything about that.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

If the premium features are downloads, I've usually had good experiences proving that the user downloaded the premium downloads without too much pain.

mnn2

Quote from: vbgamer45 on November 26, 2018, 10:35:34 AM
Not much you can really do with paypal on non physical goods. You can have them sign an agreement works 50/50. Or send something physically.
SMF can't really do anything about that.

I have this idea but I do not know how to code or whether it will convince PayPal to believe us.

Let's say we have this built-in feature that will send an email to an email account (gmail for example) each time a paid subscriber login and access his paid subscription account. The email content will contain his IP, his browser info, list of premium paid topics he has viewed and when he viewed them, etc. We will let PayPal staff to access this email account whenever there is refund request by such dishonest user.

mnn2

Quote from: Arantor on November 26, 2018, 10:36:32 AM
If the premium features are downloads, I've usually had good experiences proving that the user downloaded the premium downloads without too much pain.

It's not a downloadable items. A paid subscriber would have access to membergroup which has been granted to view premium topics in premium boards

Shambles

Have a look at the raw access logs on your server. They should contain links that your member has clicked, possibly useful in proving he accessed protected/subscription content.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

mnn2

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on November 26, 2018, 11:45:04 AM
I'm surprised PayPal allowed the refund.  Did they contact you?

Yes. I think PayPal even not bother listening to my explanation. Very quick decision from PayPal side.

LiroyvH

You are? :P I'm not. Especially the "unauthorised access" claims can be hard to combat. The payments for services are often easier to solve, granted you give them something to work with along with a clear explanation.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Gwenwyfar

Some companies close Paypal payment to certain countries for this very reason...

They're not the only company that favors an unproved customer complaint over the seller.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Biology Forums

Quote from: landyvlad on December 03, 2018, 09:56:08 PM
Paypal sucks.

It's known to increase sales due to their trust-ability compared to other companies. They only suck when you're banned lol

landyvlad

I'm just not a fan. Another forum I'm a member off had a SUBSTANTIAL amount of money (thousands) held ransom for a long time.
It was a forum for shooters and hunters, and paypal took a moral exception ....
IMHO a payment portal should be just that. Not sure how it's their place to judge who isn't "worthy".

/end rant mode

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.  :D
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

ikramkhan

I was also planning to create a special board (subscription type) from where members can get the YouTube Video Lecture links (Unlisted on YouTube).

So, should I use another payment method?

Also, as you all have good experience, can you tell me if there is any difference in the refund policy for Personal Paypal and Business Paypal?

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: ikramkhan on January 06, 2019, 04:59:20 PM
I was also planning to create a special board (subscription type) from where members can get the YouTube Video Lecture links (Unlisted on YouTube).

So, should I use another payment method?

Just had a quick google, looks lie potentially that could be against Youtube's TOS. You'd better check with Youtube if it would be against their TOS

ikramkhan

Posting an unlisted video is not against the TOS... They have the option to upload the video as public or unlisted or private. YouTube also has a subscription system for such work. So it shouldn't be against the TOS...
But I will have a second look for sure.

Advertisement: