Question about Search engines, spiders and logging

Started by SulevFan, December 08, 2018, 12:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SulevFan

I am running SMF 2.0.15.

I am trying to enable the Search engine tracking deatures, and have started from this page:  https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Search_engines#Settings

In the core features page, I have enabled Search engine tracking (and, ofc, saved the setting).  :)

I see a spider log link in my logs admin page.

I do not see entries for search engines or spiders in the Members area, not anywhere else that I can think of.

Only think I can possibly think of is that some other mod is silently messing things up, since there aren't any apparent error messages in the logs.

Here's a screenshot of the list of installed mods I have. Any other help/advice is appreciated. I'm probably just missing something simply or elementary. That's how it usually goes with me. :)

Arantor

SulevFan

They can browse, I believe. And I know it gets captured by at least Google.

Arantor

OK, so they should be able to visit - but in terms of logs, that's what the spider log is there for, to see when spiders have been. Adding spiders to the who's online area is done somewhere else though right now I don't remember where (and I don't have a 2.0 install handy to confirm)

They're not added to the memberlist though.

SulevFan

Then I don't understand the link in my original post?

Arantor

Did you set 'Show spiders in the online list'? If you didn't, nothing will show up in the online list.

Did you look in the spider log specifically? You said you're looking in the members area - but it's in specifically the spider log. You may need to go up to 'High' logging to see numbers, I really don't remember to be honest (I long since rewrote all of that for my own uses)

SulevFan

OK, I missed that the "Show Search Engines" link in Core Features was clickable after enabling (that's the thing I knew I missed). After clicking that, I got things to work as I wanted - more or less, since one can't sort the list of Spiders on "last seen".

I think the link I posted in the OP is kind of misleading, but that could again be simply a lack of reading comprehension on my part.  Thanks for persevering and your assistance.  Appreciate it.

Advertisement: