News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Connection Problems

Started by histechs, December 05, 2018, 10:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histechs

Recently i hosted my site:lagosteachersforum.com
But its displaying:
'Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.'
Pls help me out
Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you change anything?  May be a server problem, contact your host support.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I have removed your duplicate topic in Chit Chat. Please stay in one topic, makes it easier for everyone.

Most commonly database connection issues are problems on the host side, if your forum was working ok before, and you didn't change anything.
You can use repair_settings to make sure your DB login info is correct, and if they are then contact your host.
What is repair_settings.php?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Looking

If you are on shared hosting then you will probably need to upgrade. Forums require a lot of resources and are not meant to be on shared accounts.

Illori

Quote from: Looking on December 06, 2018, 04:52:30 AM
Forums require a lot of resources and are not meant to be on shared accounts.

if you are not using an oversold host a lot of forums are just fine on shared hosting.

Looking

That depends on the forum. Why even roll dice with your hosting. There is no real way to tell when a host is oversold other than seeing the problems. Why wait for the problems to happen - take measures to prevent rather than cure. Of course, that is my philosophy... others rather bump and go.

Illori

there are many ways to see if a host is oversold, most commonly they have unlimited in what they sell, which unlimited anything does not exist.

Advertisement: