Advertisement:

Author Topic: (WAS Re: Any good responsive, modern themes?)  (Read 1609 times)

Online drewactual

• College Football Fan Site CFB51
Re: (WAS Re: Any good responsive, modern themes?)
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Quote from: drewactual
something the great oracles only know?  something that is mysterious and vague to everyone but those who seek profit?  something that, unless presented with a signature by one 'in the club' is disturbingly yet not explained but with 'broken'?
If you were actually looking to improve yourself, I could take screenshots and point out the (many) broken to visually poor problems in your site. But I have the impression that probably would only serve to make you even angrier for pointing it out.

The short of it: Don't spread misinformation.
[/quote]

your impression is incorrect and demonstrates the folly of assuming.  insofar as presentation, everything i've done on that particular site is my own- suggested by users? yeah... but done by me.  i don't have near the institutionalized learning you people do- i taught myself.  can it be done better? likely so (duh) but by the standards i have knowledge of required to get the job done, it works.   it changes a little all the time, and as i discover and change issues... this differentiates me how from anyone else here?

https://www.cfb51.com is a College Football Fan Site, Store, and Publisher, launched in July of 2017

Online Gwenwyfar

• Pirate valkyrie neko-chan
  • Lead Customizer
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
Glad to be incorrect on that one then ;) But then don't call it "close to perfect" if you're aware of what you just said.

Everyone started somewhere, no one is born knowing programming. The difference is how you're acting about it.

For starters then: How do you test what you have done?
Fear has the power to make one blind, even to himself.

Beware: Potato monster ahead. He bites.                                                                                                                                                                                   

Online drewactual

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
Glad to be incorrect on that one then ;) But then don't call it "close to perfect" if you're aware of what you just said.

Everyone started somewhere, no one is born knowing programming. The difference is how you're acting about it.

For starters then: How do you test what you have done?

'how' am i acting about 'it'?  are we stuck on coding css as a skill?  We'll have to agree to disagree if so- it is not hard.  a reference book and an example, while looking at impacts of alterations, and no more than a week and just about anyone can be efficient enough with it is my position. 

but.... to the question:  I make a change and then view it on multiple devices, and ignoring antiquated browsers and devices.  as soon as it is settled, which will no doubt be some time, i'll stop h2 pushing it on every arrival, and cache it instead.  i know no other way than to see what it looks like through different browsers/devices... fortunately, google analytics allows me to see what devices the vast majority (97+%) use to view the site- so it reduces how much effort to be cross-browser/device consistent. 

i have issues with forms- not their function but their presentation.  i was also told by users they prefer to scroll right and have more room to reply or make a thread than be constrained in a form field where they can't easily look back.  these are buried in the templates for most parts.

what images are broken for you?
https://www.cfb51.com is a College Football Fan Site, Store, and Publisher, launched in July of 2017

Online Gwenwyfar

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
No, css really isn't hard to learn the basics. That's not what I was referring to.

That is helpful to do, but it is very limited. The amount of different devices and sizes is enormous, even if just for the sheer limitation of "you can't own them all", it's not a good way to test it.

Try going to the browser's "mobile mode" and going through all sizes slowly (not the preset sizes, resize the window and go through all of it, somewhere in the range from 320px to 900px is enough for most cases). You should already notice problems in many different width ratios doing this. It is also going to be easier to fix problems than testing on a real device, since you have the inspector and all that.

I haven't looked at how are the forms, but maybe they're just too small?

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • StoryBB/StoryBB on GitHub
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »
You might want to research BrowserShots or Selenium...
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

No good deed goes unpunished / No act of charity goes unresented.

Online drewactual

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 03:28:28 PM »
I will do this, Gwenwyfar, as it is something i want to be 'right'.  thank you for your offering.  right now the css is set to 650px- and i've attempted to use fluid constraints to manage it- and with varying results.  most recently i've started to use view points (view-width [vw] and view-height [vh]) and abandoning percentages.... it's a mix (aka mess) right now.  i should complete that hopefully after the Christmas, where some time may appear. 

and for the record... as i went back to look- I don't mean to say MY site response is 'perfect'... i get my hack up and go into defense mode and give people exactly what i think they expect of me... what i DO want to say is that a responsive action decided by CSS is 'perfect'.  there is a lot of things outside css than need to be addressed to make it truly 'responsive', but using CSS to make a page respond IS the 'perfect' solution, even if not practical in the case of 2.x (with lots of embedded style). 

Online Gwenwyfar

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 06:02:59 PM »
You might want to research BrowserShots or Selenium...
It doesn't replace doing the basic tests above though. It's more to check browser compatibility. And for mobile the companies that do live testing are paid.

@drewactual: I see, that wasn't what it looked like. Good luck with it :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:42:12 PM by Gwenwyfar »

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »
It can be a useful alternative, and Selenium lets you automate all kinds of things...
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

Online Gwenwyfar

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »
I never actually used selenium. I looked over it a couple times and I could never figure out what's the point compared to other browser tests like BrowserStack. I can't imagine what use is there to automate something you can do in the browser.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can only think of it being useful to companies who are going to run all sorts of tests :P What would you say is the use of it in this case?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 06:27:08 PM by Gwenwyfar »

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 02:33:27 AM »
Writing tests! Consider the situation of telling the browser to resize and be able to verify what was visible and what wasn’t, so you could change it and know you hadn’t broken things.

Online Gwenwyfar

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Hero
    • Gwenwyfar on GitHub
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 03:08:06 AM »
While that is interesting, that is the least of my concerns as it is not a common problem to happen. What if it is all visible but looks mangled?

What about simultaneously testing many pages all at once? That would be very useful. The same but telling you everything that has changed at which width would be nice too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:18:44 AM by Gwenwyfar »

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
Mangled is a thing you do have to do by eye, but it certainly wouldn’t be that hard (at least not for me, I’ve done it) to set up a setup whereby a Selenium server farms out requests to browsers to generate a set of screenshots at different sizes. So the cycle becomes “tweak some code, run a script, observe all the screenshots”.

That mostly depends how far down the rabbit hole you are - I do a fair amount of test automation at work so adding tools for resizing browsers for responsive mode checking is no big deal on top of automated functionality testing. (I already have it capable of screenshots or videos of test runs as required)