Picture next to the topic

Started by bharat, December 12, 2018, 03:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

OK...    I have no idea what that is.   It is not the standard message icon  and it is not something which is part of the core product.

As usual, you need to work on CLEARLY explaining your question...   If you have trouble with English, then we have language specific boards which you might find easier...

So, it seems that you have some sort of mod. Since we don't know what mods you have, we can't really say how/why it shows in one format and not in the other.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Probably - but I doubt any of us could see it - every topic seemed to be restricted from guests. I did especially like the misconfigured security rule in the host that most links weren't even getting to SMF because of...

EDIT: Please, please link me to the board where this post is, I bet I know what it actually is.

bharat

Here is the link to the topic: http://www.forum.bharatconnect.net/index.php?topic=11362.0
You don't need to register to be able to see topics, you just can't read them.

Arantor

Firstly, that isn't what I asked for. I want the link to the BOARD to see this. Your link doesn't ever let me see the topic, therefore I can't get to the board it is in (because you have so many boards I spent 20 minutes trying to find the topic in your screenshot and couldn't). If you didn't restrict guests from seeing topics, I could have answered this for you by now but that obnoxious "let people think they can see content and suddenly NOPE" puts people off.

Secondly, something is wrong with your site anyway. See attached, that's what I get when trying to follow any link from you to the topic directly.

bharat

I upload the image of the board where the image is, you will see Child Boards under it and the topic is in the first column second from the topic. I specially made this forum not visible for the guest becaue there are quite a lot of spammers whom I don't want to see on the site.

Arantor

Why can you not just post a link t the board itself?

I don't speak your language, that screenshot does not help me to help you!!!

bharat

I posted the link earlier but you can't see it. I just checked as a guest and I can open any boards.

http://www.forum.bharatconnect.net/index.php?board=70.0

Arantor

I don't see the topic from your screenshot in that board. That's all I want, to actually see the flag on my screen myself.

Kindred

What??

Restricting the public from viewing posts does not prevent spammers....   that is the most bizarre statement I have heard in a while.  Restricting us from viewing the messages just makes it harder for us to help you and generally just pisses before off.

If we can not see the screen on which the flag appears,  we're can not help you.

Though, I don't know why we bother.  Every single time you come here asking a question,  this degenerates into us asking you goes something 20 times and you refusing to give us what we asked for
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bharat

I sent links which you were asking for, here is actually the board where I can see the falg from my phone on the first topic: http://www.forum.bharatconnect.net/index.php?board=125.0 but I am not sure that you will be able to see it. I mean that I made it important to register on the forum before reading and writing and it really helps to prevent spammers, I simply delete them when they register on the site.

Arantor

You sent me links initially that I could not see, and that were in no way helpful anyway, not until this last link.

I know exactly what your problem is now. The flag is an emoji added on a phone, which will work on any mobile device that is reasonably to date, but desktops other than macOS aren't up to date yet, so you won't see it on a desktop (Windows 10 hasn't implemented full emoji support like none of the flags have been added)

In short this is working as designed and unless you can get Microsoft to add new features to Windows, it isn't happening.

Kindred

Requiring registration before WRITING is important and valid.
Requiring registration before reading is stupid, pointless and will just annoy people.  It does nothing at all to prevent spam. I guarantee.

As for deleting them when they register....   try setting it up with questions so they never even register.
on 3 sites, I have not had a single spammer complete the registration in 3 years now.

as for your issue...
The flag was added by whoever wrote the post.
It looks like the author included an emoji of the Norwegian flag.
I believe that the PC browsers won't process it correctly.

that's why it reads
Норвегия 🇳🇴
for the PC
but
Норвегия <flag icon>
for the phone.

https://www.emojibase.com/emoji/1f1f3-1f1f4/flagfornorway

However... that being said, there is nothing at all that YOU can do, as an admin about adding that icon.  That was added by the author

(edit: ninja'd by Arantor)
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on December 13, 2018, 11:43:26 AM
You sent me links initially that I could not see, and that were in no way helpful anyway, not until this last link.

I know exactly what your problem is now. The flag is an emoji added on a phone, which will work on any mobile device that is reasonably to date, but desktops other than macOS aren't up to date yet, so you won't see it on a desktop (Windows 10 hasn't implemented full emoji support like none of the flags have been added)

In short this is working as designed and unless you can get Microsoft to add new features to Windows, it isn't happening.
They are also working fine for me on ubuntu/firefox. And not sure whether browser or OS support but I recall seeing plain-looking single-colored badly sized ones in windows/firefox too. Or maybe I was on another linux and can't remember :P
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

bharat

Quote from: Arantor on December 13, 2018, 11:43:26 AMYou sent me links initially that I could not see, and that were in no way helpful anyway, not until this last link.

Thanks a lot for the explanation, I was thinking that it has something to do with the emoji site.

bharat

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2018, 11:44:33 AMAs for deleting them when they register....   try setting it up with questions so they never even register.
on 3 sites, I have not had a single spammer complete the registration in 3 years now.

I have some questions which you need to answer before completing registration but still I see some spammers once a while.

I understood about this particular issue with the flag but my question is still the same, can I add myself an icon next to the Subject and how can I do that?

Arantor

On your phone, sure, just edit the subject and use the emoji feature on your phone to add one. 👍

bharat

I understand about the phone, what about computer, can't I add an image as well?

Arantor

If your computer had an interface to add emoji, sure. But it probably doesn't because Microsoft haven't done so yet.

You could probably copy/paste from Emojipedia though.

bharat

No, my computer doesn't have this special interface, otherwise I would see the flag from my computer as well. I can copy paste from the site but will I be able to see these images?

Advertisement: