News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2.1 beta 4 database updates?

Started by gevv, December 13, 2018, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albertlast

4 is not a db change
3 and 5 are the same changes (3 fix a issue of 5)

shawnb61

Running the upgrade process will bring your db in sync.

EDIT:  The simplest way to do a "beta to beta" upgrade is to:
- Download/extract the 2.1b4 files, overwriting your existing source files
- Copy the 8 upgrade*.* files from the /other folder down to your smf root folder
- Run upgrade.php from your browser

There are some caveats running the upgrader to perform "beta to beta" upgades - specifically, any conditional logic in the *.sql files is not applied twice.  In general, db updates aren't conditional so you should be fine. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SD-X

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 13, 2018, 01:37:42 PM
There are some caveats running the upgrader to perform "beta to beta" upgades - specifically, any conditional logic in the *.sql files is not applied twice.  In general, db updates aren't conditional so you should be fine.
If it helps for future reference, I've updated from Beta 2 to multiple versions of Beta 3 and Beta 4, including in between official releases, and I've yet to have any database issues at all. I just updated to the latest repo copy yesterday and still no problems.

Bigguy

Same here. I am on a regular update schedule for a few betas and never once with 2.1 have I had a problem with an upgrade....well, maybe once but it was minor.

gevv

Thanks to everyone for the information.
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: SugarD-x on December 13, 2018, 07:55:04 PM
I've updated from Beta 2 to multiple versions of Beta 3 and Beta 4, including in between official releases, and I've yet to have any database issues at all.

Nevertheless, it is important to note that the upgrade.php is not designed to handle beta to beta upgrades, and it is quite likely that changes to the upgrader scripts over time will make messes in your database if you do a beta to beta upgrade by running it.

I have a live site that has been running the SMF betas for quite a while now, and I never run upgrade.php to update it. I look at the changes that have been made over time and run the necessary SQL queries myself. This is important because sometimes we've changed course in the process of development, and so changes that were made to the database by one version of the upgrader have to be undone before the new changes can be applied correctly. Just blindly applying upgrade.php in a beta to beta upgrade can easily create subtle problems that you might not notice until much later.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Bigguy

I never thought of that aspect of things....

Arantor

This is the kind of subtle thing that isn't obvious that drives my oft-stated mantra 'don't use it in production unless you're willing to put in the time/skill necessary to investigate' because those kinds of subtle changes can cause bug reports that could conceivably only affect *you* personally, not everyone else, as no-one else will have exactly the same step changes in place... and burning the time to debug those can take away time from debugging more general problems. :(

Bigguy

I'm more than willing to put time/skill into 2.1 to keep things updated. I only wish my skill set was a bit better. I'm nervous when it comes to databases for the most part. Messin with files is no big thing really. I should learn more about mysql actually.

Sesquipedalian

For the most part, you just need to check the history of the upgrader files to see what's changed since the last time you updated, and then use phpMyAdmin (or whichever tool you prefer) to run whatever SQL changes are necessary to get you back in sync. For example, here's the history of upgrade_2-1_mysql.sql.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Bigguy

Ok, I bookmarked that. So really all I would need to do are the top two I guess. Those are the only recent ones. I'll check this out more and see what I can learn/do. Thanks for the link. :)

Advertisement: