News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Responsive issue

Started by movierchives, December 13, 2018, 07:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

movierchives

I've recently had an email from Google saying the temporary mobile compatible theme on my forum isn't good enough and it will affect my sites search results so I really hope this isn't much longer.........something to do with the icons etc being to close etc

Kindred

...  and?

What does that have to do with the 2.1 beta 3 release?

If you are running 2.0, then install a responsive theme.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

SD-X

Since when does Google send out emails like that? I don't think even their Webmaster Tools are that intelligent.

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2018, 07:38:17 AM
...  and?

What does that have to do with the 2.1 beta 3 release?

Err because it has a working updated mobile theme & SMF users are being penalised by Google right now using 2.0.x

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2018, 07:38:17 AM
If you are running 2.0, then install a responsive theme.

Not found one that works right with ad management!

Quote from: SugarD-x on December 13, 2018, 08:31:31 AM
Since when does Google send out emails like that? I don't think even their Webmaster Tools are that intelligent.

I've had them a few times, Google are getting strict and this corrupt work around theme is getting old

Kindred

there are a bunch of responsive themes in 2.0, including the Responsive Curve mod that makes the standard Curve theme meet google's standards.

And although 2.1 is progressing, the final release is not going to be soon enough to stop google from penalizing non-responsive sites if they don't update their own themes.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Yes but does it work with the ad management mod to insert ads (which will likely get you penalised anyway if they're not Adsense, and possibly even if they are)?

Kindred

As with any mods....    We certify specific functioning for the core product. Adding mods and themes may break those functions or validations and it is up to the mod author and the individual admins to make things work cleanly. :)

Potentially, adding AdManager will break the responsiveness of 2.1 themes as well
Слaва
Украинi

movierchives

I use the new responsive ads from Google and they seem to work fine on ad management now using the Responsive Curve but like I said Google don't like Responsive Curve

Kindred

I have doubts... but if you have an issue with responsive curve, then post in the support thread - not in the beta3 release thread (which is a year old at this point anyway)
Слaва
Украинi

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on December 13, 2018, 04:21:57 PM
I have doubts... but if you have an issue with responsive curve, then post in the support thread - not in the beta3 release thread (which is a year old at this point anyway)
I don't Google does which is why I was asking about this which I'm told has a better mobile friendly theme, I think all SMF users should be concerned about this

Arantor

Only if you care about Google driving traffic to your site which isn't a factor for all SMF sites.

SD-X

That email is from Google Search Console and not Google Webmaster Tools. Are you sure this isn't just a theme-related issue with the search section only? SMF 2.1 Beta 4, (or whatever the latest GitHub repo version is officially called), isn't triggering warnings from Google like this for me. In fact, I've been using it since Beta 1 on multiple websites and I've yet to get anything from Google complaining about the themes, mobile or otherwise. I also haven't had any problems on my SMF 2.0.x forums. Not trying to push the discussion off-topic any further, but just food for thought.

Kindred

he's not complaining about the beta versions...   he's complaining that his 2.0 theme is triggering the warnings and wants us to hurry up with 2.1 because of it.
(he just can't be bothered to post his issues in the correct thread to deal with them, if there are actually real issues with the responsive curve mod)
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

I've actually just tested it on my plain 2.0 forum (with responsive mod in it), and it is throwing errors as if the responsive file was not there at all. Which are the same two errors movierchives posted, plus a bunch of "Page loading issues". The screenshot shows the normal desktop version. Maybe something is wrong with google bot fetching it, or there's something else it does not like and then fails to get the files/page.

Edit: Just ran it a few more times, and now it shows all good... their test interface is all bugged out (loading multiple times in a row after 20 seconds with the button not responding, or starting loading after you went to another page) so might be just their error to fix.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

movierchives

Quote from: Kindred on December 14, 2018, 08:39:49 AM
(he just can't be bothered to post his issues in the correct thread to deal with them, if there are actually real issues with the responsive curve mod)

Why are you being so pedantic, I asked a simple question about SMF 2.1 (and why) and then when someone questioned me I posted proof of an issue so no need to be so nasty to people!

As for "if there are actually real issues with the responsive curve mod" I think Google has answered that

Kindred

and yet.... I just ran the responsiveness test from Google on my site with Responsive Curve and got a clean, passing grade. This implies that your issues form google may be related to some other mod which affected your layout.

I am being pedantic, because pedantry is my specialty. :)  but I'm not nasty...
Speaking of pedantry...   You didn't actually ask anything about 2.1
Quote from: movierchives on December 13, 2018, 07:27:50 AM
I've recently had an email from Google saying the temporary mobile compatible theme on my forum isn't good enough and it will affect my sites search results so I really hope this isn't much longer.........something to do with the icons etc being to close etc
(no question there. Just a statement about a 2.0 issue which, if it's actually an issue, should have been noted, along with any questions, in the responsive Curve mod support thread.)

Gwenwyfar...

I just ran it with no problem.
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

I wouldn't be so sure. If it happened once it can happen again. But there isn't enough information to confirm what was the problem, it's just a guess without seeing his forum or if the theme looks intact.

Google isn't too picky. It mostly checks if things are not in odd sizes or if nothing overflows, it can be a mess and still pass the test.

movierchives

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 14, 2018, 01:34:04 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. If it happened once it can happen again. But there isn't enough information to confirm what was the problem, it's just a guess without seeing his forum or if the theme looks intact.

Google isn't too picky. It mostly checks if things are not in odd sizes or if nothing overflows, it can be a mess and still pass the test.
The theme is fine, the problem is what Google said about spacing etc.

I've just had abuse here for what, wanting a mobile friendly forum which clearly we're not going to get for years here..........I can't even get this account deleted

SychO

Quote from: movierchives on December 15, 2018, 07:41:53 AM

I've just had abuse here for what, wanting a mobile friendly forum which clearly we're not going to get for years here..........I can't even get this account deleted

Actually, there are some good responsive themes for 2.0
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: movierchives on December 15, 2018, 07:41:53 AM
Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 14, 2018, 01:34:04 PM

So, either something in your theme is broken and you are not seeing it, or google bot broke while viewing your site... we can't confirm it without knowing more.

Advertisement: