Blank screen after upgrade

Started by Scratchit, December 15, 2018, 04:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchit

I tried to up-grade to the latest SMF version. It locked up after a long time, then crashed. Now all I have is totally blank white screen. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

SychO

what version are you trying to upgrade from, and what version are you trying to upgrade to, and how did you try to do it
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Scratchit

From 11 to 15, i though but last of the file that got downloaded and is now in Packages is: sms-patch-2.0.14 tar gz.

I used the packages facility on the forum when it was working. I've upgraded before this and have never had any problems.

Thanks

Gwenwyfar

What php version are you running?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Scratchit

I don't know, how would I find this out. The forum all worked fine before the attempted upgrade

Thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

You can look in your host control panel, or upload attached file to forum root and run it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Scratchit

From host panel PHP 5.2 - 7, does this make sense?

Cheers

Sir Osis of Liver

That's just available versions, you need to find wgich one you're running.  Use phpinfo.php attached to my previous post.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Scratchit

OK, ran it, a whole ton of stuff came up, PHP was in a box and was 5.3.29 any better?

Cheers

Gwenwyfar

2.0.14 won't run on php 5.3 and lower. You'll need to upgrade the php version. Preferably at least 5.6. Look for an option to change it or ask your host.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

live627

Quote from: Scratchit on December 15, 2018, 06:37:20 PM
OK, ran it, a whole ton of stuff came up, PHP was in a box and was 5.3.29 any better?

Cheers
Some code to change; find in ./Sources/Subs-Db-mysql.php

// Checck for MySQLi first...
if (function_exists('mysqli_connect'))

Replace with

// Check for MySQLi first...
// !!! This driver does not work on PHP < 5.4.0.
if (function_exists('mysqli_connect') && version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '5.4') >= 0)

Scratchit

Hi
Changed the code as advised. No effect, screen still blank. Regarding advice to ask provider to upgrade php, only problem is I have another forum running with a big database and i'd hate to lose that. I'd likely end up with my throat cut  ;D Its running on a oldish SMF, 11 I think. I'd hate for that to crash out due to a php upgrade. As stated I'm a complete novice.
Would it be possible to "Step Back" somehow with the non-working site to the version of SMF that was running fine before the attempted upgrade. If so could you offer advice on how to it.

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers

SychO

When you say you tried to go from 11 to 15, you did go through 12 then 13 then 14 first right?

Did you maybe get any errors while installing a patch ?
There's a backup in packages/backup folder in your forum directory.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Scratchit

I guess it went through all the stages. I just clicked on the update thing when it said it needed patching, as I said I'm dumb when it comes to things like this.

Attached are two screen shots of packages and backups.

I didn't get any errors it just crashed out to a white screen. I run an iMac by the way in case this has any bearing on the matter

Cheers

Illori

can you change your php version as suggested above? at this time if the code change did not fix the issue, revert that back and upgrade your php.

Scratchit

OK. I'll get on to my IP on the morrow about an upgrade of the PHP. However, I really need to be sure that if I upgrade the PHP it will not crash out my other website which still on 2.0.11 and which is very important and I can't afford to lose it. It would cause me endless trouble. What do you think?

Cheers

Arantor

Upgrade PHP to 5.4 or 5.5, both 2.0.11 and 2.0.15 work on those versions.

Scratchit

Hi,

I just googled for info on the latest version of PHP, its 7.2.3! I imagine if I ask for an upgrade from my IP they are going to stick me with the latest version? Is 7.2.3 compatible with all version of SMF? I doubt the IP will let me be selective. I'll talk to them anyway. In the meantime could you point me in the right direction on using those back up files for stepping back to 2.0.11 if I don't get good info from the IP. I have an independent full backup of the site if needed but have no clue how to proceed. Is it possible to use the files I sent you a screen shot of? Told you I was dump. I appreciate your help.

Regards

Cheers

Scratchit

Hi again

One final thing in addition to the above, this is not a criticism of SML but a warning or error message would have been nice saying things were not compatible instead of a total crash. Just for dummies like me!!!

Cheers

Arantor

2.0 is not fully compatible with 7.2.

As for the white screen, that's more that PHP itself doesn't like it, and fails before SMF has chance to warn you (and any other error messages of that ilk are turned off for security reasons)

Advertisement: