Blank screen after upgrade

Started by Scratchit, December 15, 2018, 04:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchit

Hi Bud

I'm not having a dig and really appreciate your help. The upgrade seemed to going fine, then crash. But I get your point. Many moons ago I had a PC but have been with Mac for many years now. No more Blue Screen of Death!!  Sorry if you are a Windows fan  8).

Anyway, if you don't mind I might have to get back to you for further advice on reverting to a previous version, if my IP won't play ball, or even a link to this reverting thing. My biggest concern is not losing my second site.

Kind regards

Arantor

Um, not sure you did get my point... your point was "why can't SMF tell you there's a problem?" Answer: because it failed before it could decide if there was a problem. Just like you shouldn't blame Windows when the issue is a faulty motherboard ;)

The Domain Shop

Have you not got the option to switch php versions inside your host control panel?

Scratchit

Trax

WOW, yes!! I just found it after you suggested it!! I have a choice between: 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2. The option at the moment is set to 5.6. However, the forum is still not working so I guess it must be something else wrong. Anyway, thanks!1

The Domain Shop

Is there any errors being logged? There might be a file located in your forums root folder?

Illori

it is possible the php version changer in your control panel may not function. so it could still be the same version issue.

GigaWatt

Try this. Make a text file, open it and add this code to it.

<?php

phpinfo
();

?>

Save the file, change the name of the file to phpinfo.php and upload it to your forum's root directory. Run it (forumurl.tld/phpinfo.php) and see what it reports. The current running version of PHP should be reported in the first few lines of what the code will output ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Scratchit on December 15, 2018, 06:37:20 PM
OK, ran it, a whole ton of stuff came up, PHP was in a box and was 5.3.29 any better?

Upgrade to 5.6.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Scratchit

Hi all

Thank you all for trying to help. I appreciate it. Problem is most of this stuff is way over my head. Over the next few days I'm going to work at it slowly, slowly, hopefully not making things worse. As I mentioned I have another site that I absolutely cannot afford to lose so am going to proceed with caution, taking in consideration all the advice. I'll get back with the outcome one way or the other in a few days.

Thanks and cheers

Kindred

just one important reminder.

BACKUP!

Before every step, backup!

Backup the files
Backup the database

(they are separate things)
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Scratchit

Hi all,

Just to tell you after much burning of midnight oil I managed to sort the problem out after a fashion. Tried everything I could think of and eventually FTP'd all the files from a backup I had.

Everything working fine now  ;D. Thanks for all the help, I guess  this is solved but do not know how to mark it as such.

Many thanks to you all for your patience.

Cheers

Advertisement: