News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[2.0] [2.1] Emoji break preview

Started by Arskrigitsioniets, December 17, 2018, 06:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arskrigitsioniets

Emojis like this 😄 break preview on 2.0 and on 2.1.

Gwenwyfar

Are you using Beta 3 or the latest github version?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Bigguy

Arskrigitsioniets

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 17, 2018, 07:04:33 AM
Are you using Beta 3 or the latest github version?
I tried beta 3 that is installed on Russian smf support forum: https://www.simplemachines.ru.

And I myself use 2.0.15 version on my forum форум.стратегикон.рф and I see the same problem.

Kindred

hmmmm... looks like he's inserting emoji emojis - not a smiley from the server...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Gwenwyfar

It might have been fixed already. Try the latest version.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arskrigitsioniets

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on December 17, 2018, 10:00:00 AM
It might have been fixed already. Try the latest version.
I'm too lazy to install it  :D If you have free time, just try it on your version in development.

Quotehmmmm... looks like he's inserting emoji emojis - not a smiley from the server...
Yes, the problem is exactly with emoji emojis.

Like this: 😄. You can copy it by cntrl+c and insert as a text.

Arantor

The comedy is that this will almost certainly be two completely different bugs depending on 2.1 configuration.

Sesquipedalian

This was fixed in SMF 2.1 in pull request #4059 on May 17, 2017, and I just did a preview of this post right now, which demonstrated clearly to me that it has also already been fixed in SMF 2.0. 😉 Please upgrade to the latest versions.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Arskrigitsioniets

QuoteThis was fixed in SMF 2.1 in pull request #4059 on May 17, 2017, and I just did a preview of this post right now, which demonstrated clearly to me that it has also already been fixed in SMF 2.0. 😉 Please upgrade to the latest versions.
If you speak that you have already fixed it on 2.0, why do I right now do a preview and see this? For some reasons, I can't attach an attachment to this post now, so this is a screenshot:

Also on my forum 2.0.15 форум.стратегикон.рф I see the same problem. And on Russian smf community forum 2.1.3 I see the same problem. https://www.simplemachines.ru/index.php

Sesquipedalian

QuoteAlso on my forum 2.0.15 форум.стратегикон.рф I see the same problem.
I don't know why it isn't working for you, but I can't reproduce the problem in any of my tests. I've tested again on two other SMF 2.0.15 forums, and previewing a post containing emoji characters works in both cases.

QuoteAnd on Russian smf community forum 2.1.3 I see the same problem. https://www.simplemachines.ru/index.php
That forum is using a version of SMF 2.1 Beta 3 from before the bug was fixed. It needs to be updated.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Sesquipedalian

Is your 2.0.15 forum using Unicode character encoding, known as UTF-8? If not, that might be causing you problems. Emoji characters only work properly with Unicode.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Arantor

Is that preview from quick reply or preview from full editor? I have long suspected the latter as mangling submissions with emoji.

Arskrigitsioniets

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on December 18, 2018, 03:39:11 AM
Is your 2.0.15 forum using Unicode character encoding, known as UTF-8? If not, that might be causing you problems. Emoji characters only work properly with Unicode.
Yes, I'm using UTF-8. If I see this bug on this forum as well (www.simplemachines.org), but you speak that you don't have the bug... maybe the problem is in the browser? I use Google Chrome 71.0.3578.98 in the Russian language. I've just installed clear 2.0.15 version and I see the same bug...

QuoteIs that preview from quick reply or preview from full editor? I have long suspected the latter as mangling submissions with emoji.
From full editor.

Arantor

Sesquipedalian

I was doing my tests from the full editor.

Edit: Never mind. My memory must be failing. Yes, this bug does appear when the preview comes from the full editor, but not from the quick editor.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Arantor

That's why I've suspected but never proven that it worked properly because ever since I wrote the emoji handling hack, I've never been 100% convinced it was 100% reliable... but I could never consistently reproduce it breaking, even when it was just a patch I had locally.

Sesquipedalian

I'm reopening this now that we've figured out how to reproduce it.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

live627

This will be fixed in the upcoming 2.0.16.

Originally reported in SMF 2.0.15 Message Preview failing on emojis

shawnb61

This was reported a few times & a fix is targeted for 2.0.16 - I am going to close the dupes & keep one open:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569620.0
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Advertisement: