News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Upgrade of PHP

Started by Scratchit, December 18, 2018, 10:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchit

Hi

A few days ago I tried to upgrade from SMF 2.0.11 to SMF 2.0.14. The upgrade totally crashed out my Forum during the install stage. After getting advice from here, thanks, I managed to get it going by resorted to doing a FTP transfer from some backup files.

I also have another site running SMF 2.0.11. The PHP my hosting is running is 5.3.29. One of the solutions suggested on here was to get my hosting to upgrade to PHP 5.6 as SMF 2.0.14 is not compatible with PHP 5.3 so I guess it was a no go from the start. I guess the installer does not check what version of PHP the site is running before starting the install?

My question is this: If my hosting at some point decide to upgrade PHP to 5.6. will my two websites running SMF 2.0.11 crash due to incompatibility?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question, I'm a novice at this. I really can't afford to have another Forum crash.

Thanks and regards

vbgamer45

I would update to at least 2.0.13 Then ask your host to upgrade your php version to 5.4 or higher then complete the rest of upgrade steps to 2.0.15
You can upgrade SMF though the package major for minor updates there is a link to click to install the new version that is the best bet.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Scratchit

Hi

Thanks for the reply. So I guess reading between the lines you reckon PHP 5.6 has a possibility of crashing my two SMF 2.0.11. Would I upgrade one step at a time or straight to 13 if you even can. I really don't want to deal with another "Totally White Screen" 😱 And as I say I'm a novice!

Cheers

vbgamer45

Yeah I would just stop at 2.0.13 then move to 5.4 then finish the rest.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Scratchit

Hi veg

Here's a screen shot of the packers, the higher numbers must have been left after the failed install. Can I use these files to upgrade? If so. how?

Cheers

vbgamer45

If you reverted the files those edits made deleted them. Then reupload the package.
If you are on 2.0.11

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.11 will run fine in php 5.6.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Scratchit

Thanks guys, got all the info I need now.

Cheers

Advertisement: