Save PM's mod (request).

Started by landyvlad, December 18, 2018, 08:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

Suggested mod:  Save Private Messages.

There was once a mod for SMF 1.x which allowed users to select some (or all) of their Private Messages, and save them to another file that they could keep on their computer.

This then allowed them to clean out the PMs on the forum if they reached or were close to reaching the maximum number of PMs the forum allowed in their inbox.

It would be fantastic if someone could come up with a mod like this for SMF 2.0 (and ultimately SMF 2.1 as well).

'Required' functions:
- user can select some or all PMs easily.
- 'save marked PMs to file' button.  (Asks for destination and does so).

Possible additional functions which would be useful.
- choice of formats (PDF, Word, CSV)
- option to delete the PM's from forum once saved to file.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

landyvlad

Thanks. I doubt the second will work. I'll give the first a try.

For the record the original one was called Save PM to HTML.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

live627

The second one has an attached update n its support thread at the end of the final page.

landyvlad

Thanks. That update is the one I was referring to which doesn't seem to work for 2.0.15 or perhaps some other common mod

live627

ah ok just wanted to clarify that.

landyvlad

Just bumping this as I think it would be a very useful feature.
That useful it ought to be part of the SMF core, so I'll go and make a suggestion in that section too.

Perhaps it could be considered for inclusion in a future iteration of 2.1.

As that would take considerable time though, a mod for 2.0 & 2.1 would be super handy

Cheers all.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: landyvlad on January 13, 2019, 07:39:31 PM
Just bumping this as I think it would be a very useful feature.
That useful it ought to be part of the SMF core, so I'll go and make a suggestion in that section too.

Perhaps it could be considered for inclusion in a future iteration of 2.1.

As that would take considerable time though, a mod for 2.0 & 2.1 would be super handy

Cheers all.

Agreed. SMF is the only forum software that I've used where there's not been an option to save/export your PMs as a standard part of the core software

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Export Personal Messages to XML works I think.

Also, I think this functionality has at least been discussed as part of meeting the gdpr requirements, and so it may be an option in future versions.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

live627

vbgamer45

An easy thing would be just to increase limits for pm storage for your users on your forum. It doesn't really take much space.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

landyvlad

I'm a member of another SMF forum and as a user I'd like this feature.  Admin doesn't want to increase PM space so I'd like this to be available for him. And so would he :)

Advertisement: