News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

sociallocker DOWNLOAD IS LOCKED

Started by Seyit replikacep.com, December 19, 2018, 04:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seyit replikacep.com

is there someone who can do it according to smf 

smf needs such a mode

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=564118.0;attach=260481

Biology Forums

What's the point? I'll like, then download, then dislike. Or, I'll follow, then download, the unfollow. You can't force people to do anything. You might as well charge the customer to download whatever it is you're offering...

GigaWatt

I see it all the time on phishing sites posing as something the average user might be interested in. IMO, even if you do implement it on a legit site, I'd still just close the tab since it'll look like a phishing/malware/scam site.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

And even if such a mod did exist, I firmly debate the "SMF needs this mod" angle.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GigaWatt on December 20, 2018, 12:21:34 PM
I see it all the time on phishing sites posing as something the average user might be interested in. IMO, even if you do implement it on a legit site, I'd still just close the tab since it'll look like a phishing/malware/scam site.
This * 1000. I've never really seen any site use a feature like this, without making me want to just avoid them all together.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

You know what's really ironic? The image in question appears to be promoting a warez download - even thieves want their fee, I guess.

Biology Forums

maybe the only benefit here is probably the waiting part can decrease bounce rate, thereby increasing ranking to that page, but it's really pushing it

Arantor

I actually assumed it would increase the abandonment rate...

Kindred

oh, without a doubt.

I would lave such a site, never return, and make snarky comments online about the idiocy of the demand....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

10 seconds is not a bad wait time, in contrast to 120 s

Arantor

No, but the 2 minutes as indicated is a bit more.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Study Force on December 20, 2018, 01:39:33 PM
maybe the only benefit here is probably the waiting part can decrease bounce rate, thereby increasing ranking to that page, but it's really pushing it
A simple wait timer would also be a different matter, and I think the 120 seconds in the example is high (and a bit hidden) on purpose to make people consider the other options.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on December 20, 2018, 01:11:06 PM
You know what's really ironic? The image in question appears to be promoting a warez download - even thieves want their fee, I guess.

Noticed this, but didn't point it out in the comment :P :D. Didn't wanna make it too obvious :P :D.

What's even worse, these sites are posing as "redistribution networks" for something that might not even exist as warez :D. For example, Google "Cubase c*ack", you'll notice hundreds of these sites, yet there still hasn't been a stable scene release of Cubase since Cubase 5 ;).

Quote from: Study Force on December 20, 2018, 02:42:35 PM
10 seconds is not a bad wait time, in contrast to 120 s

A rule that's still enforced on many file sharing sites ::). I mean... OK, I can deal with the speed limit (at least I know it's downloading), but the waiting time ???... really ???. Or even worse, now they use tab view detection, so you can't just open the tab and come back to it in a minute or two, oh no, you'll see the counter stuck at exactly the same value when you left the tab ::)... and now, since you've visited (viewing) the tab again, the counter starts to decrease again ::)... and you have to stay on the page viewing that damn thing count down to 0 so you can start the download ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Biology Forums

I'd guess "tab view detection" would be hard to code, never heard of that before

live627

I think it's just page blur, not really sure though.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Study Force on December 21, 2018, 12:20:56 PM
I'd guess "tab view detection" would be hard to code, never heard of that before

It's quite common on file sharing sites actually... and paying link shorteners (bit.ly, uiz.io, ouo.io, etc.).

Don't know what the actual name of this detection method is, but it does detect whether you're viewing the site or not. You have to view the download page and see the counter hit 0 to continue with the download or continue to wherever the URL shortener was supposed to lead ::).

Advertisement: