News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Guess what? I completely removed two native features

Started by Biology Forums, December 20, 2018, 10:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

I spent an hour yesterday carefully removing every trace of the calendar and wap features that come stock with SMF.

Since the conception of our forum, I've never used either feature, and have never found a reason to do so. I know SMF 2.1 removed wap functionality for obvious reasons, but what's the rational for keeping the calendar? I've yet to see a forum with a "calendar" link apart from this one. In fact, if you click the calendar link, all you see is senseless information about user birthdays.

Anyway, the website code now feels less bloated, good riddance, wap and calendar  8)

Arantor

If you have the calendar you can put holidays in it and you can actually make events, it's not just birthdays!

But yeah, I don't disagree with the calendar removal. It gets weirder though in 2.0, if you remove EVERY trace, you end u slightly breaking paid subs...

Bigguy

We use the calendar on our site. It promotes a bit of discussion here and there. I don't mind it all that much. Maybe if there was more to it it would not be a bad feature. Not sure what could be added to it but it is another way to look at things.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It's good for a forum that does or follows events and dates for any purpose, since you can link topics to calendar and the other way around.
We use it sometimes on my site, and could use even more, but people are lazy. :P
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

GL700Wing

I have enabled calendars (with customised event registration/reminder mods) on three forums I administer as the forum communities find it much easier for event organisers/managers and participants to use than the system we've encountered on other forums where people have to add/remove names to/from lists and/or update notes in multiple posts within a topic.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

GigaWatt

I only have holidays and birthdays on mine... not that anybody notices it :P :D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: