News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Does banning a username actually do anything?

Started by Captain Needy, December 22, 2018, 05:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Needy

I have been learning a lot about deleting accounts and banning lately.  One thing I am trying to figure out is why banning a username seems to do nothing.  I have certain entities that create the same account over and over again and I IP ban and ban the verious domains in their email address but it would be nice if I could just prevent them from creating that account name.  It seems like ticking the box for username should do this for me but it doesn't. 

It seems curious to me that I go to ban a given account and get an error message that say 'a ban already exists for this username'.  If a ban exists for that username then why were they able to create an account for it? 

Arantor

Captain Needy

I think I have tried it both ways, but most often I would delete the user, yes.  Because my impression was that it is saving the ban trigger somewhere else and checking against that. 

Arantor

Deleting the user also deletes the ban trigger.

You might instead try adding it under reserved names in the admin panel.

Captain Needy

Thank you very much. That gives me a new plan of defense for today.  I appreciate it.  (will report back my results (also trying out registration questions today)). 

Kindred

If you are dealing with spammers, then banning is the wrong way to deal with it.
Stopping them from logging in/registering in the first place is the best thing.

See the faq topic
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Captain Needy

Thank you Kindred.  I am reading up on that presently.

Captain Needy

I have added a bunch of registration questions.

I am cautiously beginning to believe this could work. 

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: