small modification to post based rank

Started by wtfwtf, December 22, 2018, 07:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtfwtf

so i have been pondering on this question sometime, and none of those who asked it got a clear concrete answer

i want something like this guy asked for - 2004
I hope this hasn't already been covered. What would really be useful for my board would be the possibility to base ranking on something other than post count, e.g.
- number of days since registration, maybe with another useful variable weighing in. Will that be possible with SMF?

i have seen all the answers for similar questions, and not interested in the alternatives,
i want just a simple fix that would require a certain time from registration date to reach the next rank all while keeping post count
or whatever you can come up with to achieve the idea of adding a time factor before allowing users to rank up

before you ask, yes i have checked : https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=321112.40
and i have basically checked everything on this forum that might help me in a way achieve this ...

the only bit of useful info i found was this

WHEN (' . time() . ' - DateRegistered) >= ' . ($sec_day * 86400) . (!empty($lastMin) ? ' AND (' . time() . ' - DateRegistered) <= ' . ($lastMin * 3600) : '') . ' THEN ' . $id;

any help to what should be done, even if i have to do it manually
i am running a development copy of my forum, so i can test with no fear,
just let me know what should be done

thank you

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There is a mod that replaces the post count with time online count in membergroups, perhaps you can look in to it and figure out how to do this.
Personally, I don't see the value in doing this though. Ranks Based on Time Online
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

wtfwtf

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on December 24, 2018, 06:02:55 AM
There is a mod that replaces the post count with time online count in membergroups, perhaps you can look in to it and figure out how to do this.
Personally, I don't see the value in doing this though. Ranks Based on Time Online

it is what i have referred to above, i don't want time, i want a combination of both
my users are ranking up to senior in 1 month, i want them to not be able to do that, but at the same time know that they need to post to rank

br360

You can also change the post count number one needs to hit before their membership changes as well.

For example, whatever number of posts one needs to hit on your forum to become senior, you can change that to say 10 thousand posts or whatever amount you want.

wtfwtf

Quote from: br360 on December 25, 2018, 01:00:15 AM
You can also change the post count number one needs to hit before their membership changes as well.

For example, whatever number of posts one needs to hit on your forum to become senior, you can change that to say 10 thousand posts or whatever amount you want.

already doing that, but
i know that whatever number i put they will get it done fast
it will become more meaningless posts, or posts with little value

br360

Personally I would consider getting rid of the post based groups and assign senior member or other type of privilege member group based on admin approval.

Basically the criteria to get to that group could be say 1000 meaningful posts and then emailing admin so you could review said posts. If you felt their posting history merited an upgrade, you could then manually upgrade their member group

wtfwtf

Quote from: br360 on December 25, 2018, 08:23:35 PM
Personally I would consider getting rid of the post based groups and assign senior member or other type of privilege member group based on admin approval.

Basically the criteria to get to that group could be say 1000 meaningful posts and then emailing admin so you could review said posts. If you felt their posting history merited an upgrade, you could then manually upgrade their member group

don't have time for case per case, there are a lot of members

Arantor

Arantor

And how many groups are you trying to mangle them into?

wtfwtf

Quote from: Arantor on December 26, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
And how many groups are you trying to mangle them into?

post based there are maybe 8

none post based there are around 30

Arantor

No wonder you're having difficulty, but I'm still not convinced that you need to automate this... what exactly do the other groups grant beyond a different badge/title?

wtfwtf

Quote from: Arantor on December 26, 2018, 02:54:48 PM
No wonder you're having difficulty, but I'm still not convinced that you need to automate this... what exactly do the other groups grant beyond a different badge/title?

people have a reason to reach higher rank asap
only rank in consideration for them is the rank we are basing the post count on
all other ranks and badges has other reason for existence and have no direct correlation - and are manually granted
the issue is:
users will try to rank up asap, posting up to 100 post/reply a day just to rank up //even more
this is what i want to block
i want them to post and create content, but i don't want them to rank up fast
thus the idea of including a time factor that will delay the post based ranks from triggering unless the time required elapses

GigaWatt

And then they'll just stop posting for a while, wait out the time interval for the rank and automatically get ranked... doesn't seem like a good solution to me.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

wtfwtf

Quote from: GigaWatt on December 26, 2018, 08:49:00 PM
And then they'll just stop posting for a while, wait out the time interval for the rank and automatically get ranked... doesn't seem like a good solution to me.

i have no problem with such a behavior, it will mean active and loyal members will rank up, currently only very active ones

Arantor

Adding road blocks usually acts like a road block, slows people down and discourages them...

wtfwtf

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2018, 09:58:41 AM
Adding road blocks usually acts like a road block, slows people down and discourages them...

discouraging is not an issue here
i want to slow the rise in ranks because it is harming my forum competitiveness with the main competitor

Arantor

You must be the only forum owner I've ever heard complaining about having too many posts.

In any case, this is not a simple change to make, it's actually really possible to screw your forum up accidentally (like autopromoting users to full admins) with the routine you'd have to change.

wtfwtf

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2018, 07:44:50 PM
You must be the only forum owner I've ever heard complaining about having too many posts.

In any case, this is not a simple change to make, it's actually really possible to screw your forum up accidentally (like autopromoting users to full admins) with the routine you'd have to change.

found out another way to do that , i'll try to see if that would work

Advertisement: