News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Snowflakes

Started by Chen Zhen, December 24, 2018, 06:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chen Zhen

@woolly bugger
The "Xmas Lights" option is available which gives you the exploding lights.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Michael Vail

I recently upgraded to SMF 2.1.3 and have been receiving the following errors in the log of my forum ever since.

Quote98.97.113.141
 2903a0e006f86daba3fdbaf7970d19a5
 https://www.sonomacountydsa.org/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=alerts_popup;counter=0;u=2  Backtrace information

Type of error: General
Error messageSelect
Hook call: function "smf_snowflakes_profile" in file /home/customer/www/sonomacountydsa.org/public_html/forums/Sources/snowflakesSMF.php could not be called.

I confirmed the snowflakesSMF.php is in the Sources folder so I'm not sure what's happening.

Just wanted you to know in case it was something you wanted to fix.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Chen Zhen

@Michael Vail

For the moment I can't seem to duplicate your report.
However, I've only tested this thus far on a patched update of SMF as opposed to a fresh installation.
I've also tried adjusting profile settings as your error URL seems to indicate that there was a problem when doing that but it seems to work fine with snowflakes enabled or disabled (in the user profile).

Can you try uninstalling it & then installing the latest version anew?

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Michael Vail

Ironically, the problem stopped on its own here too. I have no idea what was causing it other than maybe there was a hosting account problem. Sorry for the trouble but I'm glad it turned out to only be a ghost in the machine.

Thanks for the awesome MOD and Happy Holidays!

Viper013

Hi Chen Zhen,

i have a problem with your mod in SMF 2.1.3.

I use the Option: "XMAS Light Strands" on my Forum at Christmas
With SMF 2.0.19 i have nice colored bigger dots (see xlights_smf-2.0.19.jpg)

With SMF 2.1.3 i just have tiny white dots (see xlights_smf-2.1.3.jpg)
That looks rather odd.

Did you have a idea to fix that ?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
Steffen

Chen Zhen

@Viper013 I apologize for the late reply. I just tested this on SMF 2.1.3 with the default theme & don't see any issue. It could be the theme you're using or a mod somehow affecting the css.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Viper013

Hi Chen Zhen,
thanks for your answer.

I have the default theme and used the "Curve2 Color Changer" Mod
to change some colors (Background,Buttons,etc.)

I tried some other Themes and it works all fine.

It must be something with my own created background-color for the header.

Greetings
Steffen

Viper013

... now i got it.

It was definitly the mod "Curve2 Color Changer".

Now the fun begins.
Trying to find out what the heck this mod affect to the snowflakes. :o

Viper013

Finaly i find it out.  :)

The Mod "Curve2 Color Changer" has a option to remove shadows.
(text-shadow + box-shadow).

When this option is checked, .... the Snowflake-Mod has this strange "XMAS Light Strands" problem.

I change text-shadow options in the index.css to "text-shadow: none !important"
and voila, ... everything works fine.

ColinJM

@Chen Zhen  - went to install this on to the default Theme 2.1.4 - downloaded and uploaded the zip file, but when I attempted to install I received a Simple Machines Download Site - Unknown or Not Found
Kind Regards

Colin

Chen Zhen

This mod works fine on SMF 2.1.4 when installed via the SMF package manager.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Steve

The mod itself works fine but it does cause a problem with any theme that has a menu bar at the top. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get the cursor in just the right spot so the menu item can be clicked on. And the quick theme changer mod (https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=3356) can't be used at all.

I can provide screenshots if you need them.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Chen Zhen

There are admin settings to add container id's & classes. The effects will be hidden when the mouse cursor hovers over those containers.

It's difficult to have these included in the code by default since I can't guess what unique id's are going to be used by theme developers.

I can possibly add something that will do that for cursor position (XY coordinates) which I will look into this weekend. In the meantime you can look at the source code of templates via the browser to determine container id's/classes to add to the Snowflakes admin settings.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Chen Zhen

Updated to version 1.83 with an option to disable the light effects on a vertical cursor range.
(staring at 1 to a max of 999 from the top of the window)

Note that there are already options to disable light effects on container classes & id's.
There are also options to offset the light scripts so they don't interfere with top navigation.
Admin options will vary when you choose a specific effect within the admin.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Steve

DO NOT pm me for support!

lord alibaski

Quote from: ColinJM on December 08, 2023, 02:44:28 AM@Chen Zhen  - went to install this on to the default Theme 2.1.4 - downloaded and uploaded the zip file, but when I attempted to install I received a Simple Machines Download Site - Unknown or Not Found

I have the same problem. I wanted to add it to the xmas theme by TwitchisMental and wanted to add some snowflakes so I tested it using wamp 1st and it worked perfectly fine. Installed it on a live forum and it does install but is missing from the modification settings but you can see it in package manager.

Chen Zhen

Why does it say miscellaneous on your screenshot? Snowflakes does not install under that heading on a regular SMF setup.

Click on the actual modification settings link to bring up mods which should include Snowflakes.

QuoteThis installation process will add options to the mod settings template...

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

lord alibaski

@ Chen

Like I said when I click on Configuration - modification settings it doesn't install but it will install when using wampserver.

Like the attachment below

ColinJM

@chen, My apologies - I've now done a correct reinstall - nice mod!  8)
Kind Regards

Colin

Chen Zhen

@ColinJM: No problem.. I'm glad you figured it out & got it working.

@lord alibaski:

I apologize as I forgot the first link for mod settings navigation shows "miscellaneous".
Any mod I've made that uses the generalized mod settings for admin access are on their own beside that link.

I don't know why it's behaving like that as I've never seen that problem.
Does this only occur on that Xmas theme?
Does the drop-down menu show the snowflakes link?

ie.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

Advertisement: