One.com has done an upgrade again

Started by Plantje, December 29, 2018, 04:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plantje

Last night at 2.15 AM received an E-mail from One.com (my host) that they would be changing something.

"Beste Rudi Hendrix

De webruimte van vliegvissers.com is verplaatst naar een nieuwe infrastructuur.

Wij gaan mee met de tijd en bereiden ons voor op de toekomst. Onze nieuwe infrastructuur is hier een voorbeeld van en helpt om de stabiliteit en prestatie van uw webruimte te verbeteren.

Als u onder de 99,9% van onze klanten valt die de standaard instellingen gebruikt, dan blijft alles werken als voorheen en hoeft u niks te doen.
Heeft u de instellingen van uw webruimte gewijzigd?
Dan kan het zijn dat u uw instellingen moet aanpassen, om uw website normaal te laten werken.

Onze nieuwe infrastructuur kan gevolgen hebben voor de werking van uw website wanneer u:
•   andere DNS servers gebruikt dan die van ons,
•   diensten van derden gebruikt die afhankelijk zijn van het ip-adres van uw webruimte,
•   een database van een ander domein gebruikt,
•   e-mails verstuurt via uw website met SMTP.
Voor de beste werking van uw website adviseren wij u om onze standaard instellingen te gebruiken.

Heeft u hulp nodig met het aanpassen van uw instellingen? Of is er iets wat niet werkt zoals verwacht? Neem dan contact op met onze support.

Support 24 uur per dag, 7 dagen per week
Heeft u vragen? Neem gerust contact met ons op!
Wij staan klaar om u te helpen

Met vriendelijke groet,
One.com"

My apologies for the fact that it is in Dutch.

And indeed: the last reply on my forum was succeeded at 1:08 AM. Ever since then I get a message like:
"Field 'edit_reason' doesn't have a default value
File: /customers/3/2/5/vliegvissers.com/httpd.www/SMForum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 1830

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.15, while your database is at version 2.0.2. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php."

Obviously I will contact One.com as well, but if someone here has a bright idea I am open for suggestions.

I really dislike them doing this! I have kids that want some attention as well. I cannot drop everything as soon as One.com decides to do an upgrade! This is the second time within a span of a little over a month!

SpacePhoenix

English translation (translated by Google)

QuoteDear Rudi Hendrix

The webspace of vliegvissers.com has been moved to a new infrastructure.

We go with the times and prepare for the future. Our new infrastructure is an example of this and helps to improve the stability and performance of your web space.

If you fall below 99.9% of our customers using the standard settings, everything will continue to work as before and you will not have to do anything.
Have you changed the settings of your web space?
Then you may have to adjust your settings in order for your website to work normally.

Our new infrastructure can affect the operation of your website when you:
• uses other DNS servers than ours,
• use third-party services that depend on the IP address of your web space,
• use a database from another domain,
• send e-mails via your website with SMTP.
We advise you to use our standard settings for the best operation of your website.

Do you need help with adjusting your settings? Or is there something that does not work as expected? Please contact our support.

Support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Do you have questions? Feel free to contact us!
We are ready to help you

Sincerely,
One.com

You might want to consider asking them what their plans are for what PHP versions they plan on having/supporting in future, with 5.6 going EOL in a couple of days, 7.0 being EOL and 7.1 moved into the phase of support where afaik it's just security critical updates

Plantje

Thank you!

I know what their plans are wrt PHP 7.1. I had to upgrade to SMF  2.0.15 a few weeks ago just because of that. But that is fine now. Let's hope they don't force 7.2 rather than 7.1 any time soon!

I've chatted with support and they created a ticket. Next to that I'll see what I can do myself. However, there's more in life than this forum ;)

Looking

Even if they go to PHP 7.2 your SMF will still work unless you have mods installed that are not compatible.

Plantje

Tested 7.2. Don't know exactly why, but it didn't work. Will stick with 7.1 as long as it is possible

Looking

You will need to check the error logs to find out why.

Plantje

I don't feel looking for ways to work with PHP 7.2 is going to solve my current issue.

Beginning of the month One.com switched to PHP 7.2 with the option of sticking to 7.1. Everything went south then; even with going back from 7.2 to 7.1. I upgraded SMF to 2.0.15 and still with PHP 7.2 I had issues, but going back to PHP 7.1 was working fine. That has worked for a few weeks now.

Last night they did another infrastructure update at One.com (unrelated to upgrading the PHP version) and now I get the error message as displayed above.

I feel SMF 2.0.15 is working fine and it is running fine on PHP 7.1. PHP 7.1 will be supported for at least a year I think. It's just the infrastructure update that is causing issues today.

Looking

Then address the root of your problem: host and get a hosting plan that lets you dictate when updates or changes are done. Usually a VPS if you can afford it.

Arantor

The issue isn't PHP, it's the fact that you have/had a mod that is badly written and (presumably an upgraded) MySQL is complaining about it.

In phpMyAdmin, go to the database, to the smf_messages table, where you should see a list of columns including edit_reason. Edit the column to tick the 'null' box and hit save.

Plantje

Thanks. Allowing nulls should resolve this error. Already thought about that...just didn't know in which table to look for the field

Plantje

That helped. It isn't a MySQL DB by the way, but a MariaDB. To some extent: poteeto/potato.

I updated the setting for the edit_reason field. After that the is_solved field was cause of another error. I found that in the smf_topics table. Should be working again now.

Still strange that after making the infrastructure changes that One.com did, my field attributes got changed. I'll contact them again on this

@rjen

Field  attributes were not changed. The new server applies strict SQL mode.

More info:  https://tecadmin.net/disable-strict-sql-mode-mysql/
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Plantje

Ah, so the setting that nulls were not allowed was always in place, just never enforced? Oi.... that is quite bad of a database system, right?

Plantje

And thanks for all your prompt responses and thinking along!

a10

Over the years have seen changes of server (ip), 100% transparent process for my site\forum. If among the 0,1 % customers using special configurations, have a chat with one.com support (I've found them excellent the few times I've needed any info).

You write "I had to upgrade to SMF  2.0.15", would you prefer to rather continue using a vintage SMF version with security issues? And running anything on some soon to be\already outdated\unsecure php version? Makes me think of not changing worn-out, dangerous car tires because it implies some work.

IMO it's good when host upgrades (if giving info about forthcoming actions) and adheres to modern security standards, even if it may rattle a few cages and imply some customers having to take needed\postponed steps regarding being up-to-date with current state of software \ state of the internet \ state of security threats.

Just some opinions, have a fine day :O)
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Plantje

Quote from: @rjen on December 29, 2018, 07:02:25 AM
Field  attributes were not changed. The new server applies strict SQL mode.

More info:  https://tecadmin.net/disable-strict-sql-mode-mysql/
That's what they confirmed as well. Still strange that I first had to read it here.

Plantje

Quote from: a10 on December 29, 2018, 08:41:55 AM
Over the years have seen changes of server (ip), 100% transparent process for my site\forum. If among the 0,1 % customers using special configurations, have a chat with one.com support (I've found them excellent the few times I've needed any info).

You write "I had to upgrade to SMF  2.0.15", would you prefer to rather continue using a vintage SMF version with security issues? And running anything on some soon to be\already outdated\unsecure php version? Makes me think of not changing worn-out, dangerous car tires because it implies some work.

IMO it's good when host upgrades (if giving info about forthcoming actions) and adheres to modern security standards, even if it may rattle a few cages and imply some customers having to take needed\postponed steps regarding being up-to-date with current state of software \ state of the internet \ state of security threats.

Just some opinions, have a fine day :O)
I get your point and I do agree.

The thing is: I have not setup this forum. Ownership of it was transferred to me. So, with the little time I have I still need quite a lot of cleaning up to do (throw away non working mods, document working mods etc). And yes, to that extent I thought: stuff is still running, so I should be ok.
And for some reason from version 2.0.11 to 2.0.15 didn't seem to be a huge leap :) In hind sight: was little to no effort either!

I have two similar websites. One is my test environment, the other is production. Would be nice if I could agree with One.com to first test this sort of stuff on my test environment.

a10

Hello, unless some unexpected malchance it'll all be done and finished while you relax or sleep :O)
In any case, work being done on host side or personal side, having some fresh & complete db \ files backups is always good.
Worst case scenario, a short adjustment job with repair_settings.php if any paths' are changed.

Am thinking the host has done a good job here, by giving precise info in advance. Some comments:

• uses other DNS servers than ours  (very probably not, can be checked in control panel)
• use third-party services that depend on the IP address of your web space (if any at all, probably not on ip, maybe on domain name)
• use a database from another domain (surely not relevant)
• send e-mails via your website with SMTP (not relevant if standard PHP email is used for forum).

No email about any changes here, they sucessfully moved my sites around in the past (upgrade, faster, better), with nothing to think about or do from my side.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Plantje

Either I misunderstand or I have to disagree...
Quote from: a10 on December 29, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
Hello, unless some unexpected malchance it'll all be done and finished while you relax or sleep :O)
Yes and in this case it wasn't all done and finished while I was asleep. Now this concerns a hobby website, so it is not that important. But if you run a forum with thousands of active users you can imagine the pile of messages if something like this happens during the night.
On the other hand something can be said that if you host a forum of thousands of active users you should be more actively maintaining the software and not stick on PHP 5.6, SMF 2.0.11 etc for too long
In any case, work being done on host side or personal side, having some fresh & complete db \ files backups is always good.
Yes, I should run another backup. Would have been nice though if I had the chance to run that before maintenance was done.
Worst case scenario, a short adjustment job with repair_settings.php if any paths' are changed.

Am thinking the host has done a good job here, by giving precise info in advance. Some comments:
Where's the advance? When I went to bed everything was still working. Then, when I was asleep, an E-mail was sent and when I woke up it was impossible to post anything.
So, let's take a look at the changes they mentioned and see if that clarifies my issue...
• uses other DNS servers than ours  (very probably not, can be checked in control panel)
No, I don't believe I use other DNS servers than the ones from One.com
• use third-party services that depend on the IP address of your web space (if any at all, probably not on ip, maybe on domain name)
True, most likely I don't use the IP and I didn't see any issues resulting from this change
• use a database from another domain (surely not relevant)
No, I only use One.com DBs
• send e-mails via your website with SMTP (not relevant if standard PHP email is used for forum).
I do think I use SMTP. However, E-mails are still working. If anything, I would have expected an issue here.

So, looking at the list of things to keep in mind there is no mention of strict SQL mode being in effect. I googled it a little bit and understand somewhat better what strict mode in a MariaDB means.
Is this something that would have been in effect if I had done my upgrades properly myself?
No email about any changes here, they sucessfully moved my sites around in the past (upgrade, faster, better), with nothing to think about or do from my side.
Are you sure there were changes then? ;) If there is no E-mail...

Anyway. I am not trying to be offensive or anything. Just trying to understand this. And in the end I am generally very satisfied with One.com. They're available 24/7. Support is friendly and cooperative. I just think that they can improve on sending an E-mail on changes in advance and offering the possibility to set one server as test server and another as production server.

a10

^^^^ ahhh, I did not get that you seemingly received email simultaneously as the server changes was done. In my case I received email info well in advance and did some needed preparation (upgraded to latest SMF & setting php to 7.1), all went fine.

About "Are you sure there were changes then? -;) If there is no E-mail...", meant my sites were not included in any server changes this time, already upgraded some time ago.

If i understand the story, the server (and thus ip) move in itself went well, but got hit by newer php versions affecting software (smf).

"and not stick on PHP 5.6, SMF 2.0.11 etc for too long"
Yes, from looking at many recent posts on this forum, seems like many are "hit by php" lately, as hosts all over the world start to ditch older php. With many still using old SMF verisons and using old mods on top, some get a rude awakening. Am hoping to see a SMF 2.0.16 for php 7.2 soon. About older mods things may not look bright, as many developpers have left\forgot all about them.

For something like smf + a 1000 old mods available I can't see how any host could possibly anticipate or inform in detail what could happen with a new php, it will be up to the site owner to spend time staying informed\reading\fixing.

Anyway, happy to see your site up and going, it has a very good members vs posts %, sign of quality forum :O)

SpacePhoenix

Arantor

A patch for 7.2 is difficult and won't actually be super reliable, and it can't fix mods.

Plantje

Quote from: a10 on December 30, 2018, 06:18:10 AM
^^^^ ahhh, I did not get that you seemingly received email simultaneously as the server changes was done. In my case I received email info well in advance and did some needed preparation (upgraded to latest SMF & setting php to 7.1), all went fine.

About "Are you sure there were changes then? -;) If there is no E-mail...", meant my sites were not included in any server changes this time, already upgraded some time ago.
Almost :)
The past few events:
One.com indicated beginning of November they would upgrade PHP 5.5 and 5.6 to 7.2 while still keeping the option for 7.1. This was a notification that one should check if everything would still work as websites could be affected.
Half of november One.com set everything to PHP 7.2. I got mad, because they didn't communicate that. However, I was not right, because they DID notify me. And now I still had the option to go back.
End of November I upgraded to SMF 2.0.15 with PHP 7.1 and everything was still running fine.
Third of December they went to PHP 7.2 without option of going back, but with the option to stick to 7.1.
Everything was still running fine.

Now completely forget PHP versions and SMF versions.

We come to yesterday. One E-mail (as quoted above) during the night and a change that same night. I completely missed any warning of this. And I also missed that strict SQL mode would be in effect as well. (I am not sure if I would have understood what the implications were if they did mention it, but that's besides the point)
So, that's why I'm disappointed...I'm not mad....just disappointed. (Any parent can tell you that is worse ;) )

Quote from: a10 on December 30, 2018, 06:18:10 AM
Anyway, happy to see your site up and going, it has a very good members vs posts %, sign of quality forum :O)
I will regard that as a compliment. Thank you!

Advertisement: