No ip

Started by Bigguy, December 30, 2018, 09:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigguy

What's up with this guy. Why does he not show an ip.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

For some reason it failed to resolve I'd guess, but why exactly - no idea.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Bigguy

This bot/person keeps hittin the cron.php file every 5 to 6 minutes.

Illori

that is normal. otherwise many functions of SMF 2.1 would not work correctly, like the alerts.

they are not directly hitting it but causing it to run in the background due to guest activity.

[edit] check your scheduled tasks etc, seems one may have had this entry and the corresponding email template no longer exists, so you need to remove it.

Bigguy

I don't see anything in scheduled tasks to remove. Nothin jumps out at me anyway.

Illori

search your database and files for notification_edit and see what is calling it, i dont have it in my files from github that i can see.

Bigguy

That's weird. I know I didn't put it in there. Maybe TP ?? I only have like 3 or 4 mods installed....Gallery, Arcade...Hmm, arcade sends out notifications. I wonder if it could be from that.

Arantor

Unless the arcade knows how to do 2.1 style alerts, it seems unlikely...

Bigguy

These are all the mods I have and the one crossed out is not installed. So I can't see it being a mod at all.

Bigguy

Maybe this would help

Chen Zhen

Function names concerning email templates for the Arcade have the word "arcade" in them.
The code concerning alerts (email and pm) are located in ../Sources/Subs-Arcade.php using the arcadeEvent() function.
Your reported errors do not appear to be from the Arcade.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Bigguy

Well....I'm at a lose. That error was not there before the upgrade so I am not sure what it is.

Bigguy

I looked in my error log and found this that pertains to the error in SMF I have...I think.
/home/*****/public_html/cron.php(208): CreatePost_Notify_Background->execute()
/home/*****/public_html/cron.php(102): perform_task(Array)

EDIT:
And maybe this one to:

/home/****/public_html/Sources/tasks/CreatePost-Notify.php(188): parse_bbc('Hey it's su...', false)

Bigguy

This is in there as well:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function allowedTo() in /home/*****/public_html/Sources/Subs-Attachments.php:968

Bigguy

Well I have searched everything but the database. So I guess that is my next stop.

Sesquipedalian

I've looked into this, and it is a legitimate bug. It was hard to track down, but apparently it was introduced long ago in this commit. If you look there, you'll see on line 2081 that a notification is being created with its "type" set to "edit" even though there is otherwise no such thing as an "edit" notification in SMF.

This reason it has taken so long for this bug to manifest is probably that a very specific set of circumstances are required before it will trigger any errors. Specifically, a post containing a mention needs to be modified in a topic that being watched by some other user who has selected the option to be notified by email immediately whenever there is new activity in their watched topics. If that particular scenario occurs, SMF ends up trying to send an email notification using non-existent "notification_edit" email templates.

Unfortunately, merely changing that "type" value from "edit" to something that actually exists, such as "reply", isn't a good solution. That would avoid generating error messages in the log, but it would cause false "new reply" email notifications to be sent out to users watching the topic when what really happened was that an existing post containing a mention was modified. That would be wrong, and avoiding it is probably the reason why a different notification type was introduced here in the first place. The best solution is to follow through on that idea and implement proper handling of the "edit" notification type. So I'm working on a PR for that now.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Bigguy

Your...your like a savior. I can stop pulling out my hair now, lmao. Thank god you found it. This error pops up about as much as the 1 Alert post I made in this board. It was drivin me wacko. Thank you sir for finding this. :)

Sesquipedalian

Bigguy, please test the changes in https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5321 to see if that resolves the issue.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Bigguy

Bigguy

Well, I woulda had errors by now I know I would have. I can post back when I get up tomorrow though to make sure it is workin. It looks good though. Thank you sir. :)

Advertisement: