News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Custom smiley problem with upgrading

Started by @rjen, January 05, 2019, 03:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@rjen

Tonight a tested a full upgrade of a 2.0.15 forum to this latest version of 2.1. (11.000 topics and over 250.000 posts)

Upgrade worked without problems and I am now in the process over checking the results.

First problem I found is with that with the upgrade my custom smileys are not working anymore.
These smileys (from 2.0) are in the smf_smileys table with the file extension (.gif). In 2.1 the file extension should not be on the filenames anymore, but it is on the smiley set definition...
Since the upgrade does not 'fix' this for the existing custom smileys, I now have to fix this by manually removing the .gif extension from each entry in the smf_smileys tables.

Known problem?
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

albertlast

Well beside of removing the extension name,
you had to add the extension type to smf_setting key smiley_sets_exts
needs to be in same order as the smiley_sets_known.

Exp.
smiley_sets_known= fugue,alienine,Custom
smiley_sets_exts = .png,.png,.gif

I'm not sure if this work is task of the upgrader.

Bigguy

After all the upgrades I did SMF sets smiles in all directories to .png. You should be able to go in and edit the smiley set and change the extension there to .gif if you need to. I have to change this all the time after an upgrade.

@rjen

Quote from: albertlast on January 05, 2019, 06:54:48 AM
Well beside of removing the extension name,
you had to add the extension type to smf_setting key smiley_sets_exts
needs to be in same order as the smiley_sets_known.

Exp.
smiley_sets_known= fugue,alienine,Custom
smiley_sets_exts = .png,.png,.gif

I'm not sure if this work is task of the upgrader.

True, though that action was done by me via the admin screen.
I am capable to make these changes via phpmyadmin, but I am sure many users are not.

Custom smileys are a standard feature in SMF, so it will be used often. Since 2.1 is changing the technical setup as part of the upgrade process I am sure users will expect this to be handled by the upgrade as well.

But hey, I am just asking about it: if the team does consider this to be the preferred procedure for dealing with custom smileysets then this topic may be the heads up for others upgrading in the near future...

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

@rjen

shawnb61

Quote from: Bigguy on January 05, 2019, 07:02:42 AM
After all the upgrades I did SMF sets smiles in all directories to .png. You should be able to go in and edit the smiley set and change the extension there to .gif if you need to. I have to change this all the time after an upgrade.

Do you still need to do this?  Support for .gifs was re-enabled in October; you shouldn't have to make such changes anymore. 

Thanks for the bug report @rjen.   Fix has been submitted.  No manual updates for custom smileys should be needed going forward. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

@rjen

I see the PR, seems pretty straight forward, I'll see if I can test it once it is merged

Bigguy

My smiley set up may be different now that I think about it. I keep all smileys in the one directory. So after an update in order to show my custom ones and not the default I have to go an edit that smiley directory from .png to .gif.  So disregard my comment.

shawnb61

@rjen - were all of your custom smileys .gifs?  Or were some .pngs,. .jpgs, etc?   Non-gifs might be an issue...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

@rjen

landyvlad

Hmm I haven;t got any custom smileys on my test forum. Perhaps I should add some.. :)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Sesquipedalian

FYI, the system for handling custom smiley files has now been rewritten. Statements above are no longer accurate. Any smiley set can now use any mix of image files of the following types: .gif, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, or .svg.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Bigguy

I just finished updating to the latest on Gh and all my custom smileys are there. They had to be added back to SMF but all the images are there and they work great.

@rjen

Just upgraded the same setup to the latest RC1 built and I can confirm that the custom Smileys are now succesfully upgraded to the 2.1 setup.
No manual intervention needed anymore...

@rjen

I did some tests with the new RC1 smiley solution today.

Overall it seems to work well, but there are some things left to be desired:

1. Missing the ability to add a missing smiley image to one set
I am finding that I cannot 'add' a new image to one set only: I have some images that are not in all three sets and I would like to upload a new image to be used in only one of the sets, and that is not possible...

atm I am left with the forum warning me: Smiley not found in set(s): fugue, alienine, but there is no way to assign a correct new file to it, I can only assign a filename of one of the other smileys already used in the set...

2. Missing the option to use images in one set that are in another
When i go to edit a smiley, > modify I can select from a picklist of filenames: the options provided only contain filenames already assigned into the same set: I would expect to be able to also assign filenames that have been used in the other sets...
or copy one of the smileys from set 1 to set 2, but there is no way to do that...

Sesquipedalian

Yes, the UI could be easier for those two tasks. As a workaround, try simply putting your new image files into the desired folder using the file system or FTP. Once the file exists in the folder, selecting it will be straightforward.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

@rjen

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on January 27, 2019, 03:38:49 AM
Yes, the UI could be easier for those two tasks. As a workaround, try simply putting your new image files into the desired folder using the file system or FTP. Once the file exists in the folder, selecting it will be straightforward.

Thanks, I knew that would work, but I was looking for a solution that would not require ftp access.

I just found it by the way:

1. In this case it is sufficient to identify what file is missing in the smiley sets,
2. then save the file to a local machine and
3. create a new smiley in all sets using that file (use a dummy name)

It will overwrite the existing file in the folder of the set that is complete, but that's ok as long as you use the same file... (Some warning before overwriting would be nice though)

4. then delete the dummy smiley again: the files are left in place and the problem is fixed...

Kindred

Well, those suggestions would be enhancements, since the current smiley up works that same way as the 2.1 one
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: