Function: checkExistingTriggerIP
File: /var/www/smf/Sources/ManageBans.php
Line: 1672

File attached.

Kindred

what IP address are your trying to ban?

what mods do you have installed?
what version of SMF?

More importantly, why are you attempting to ban an IP address?   If it is a temp ban, then using the SMF ban system makes sense (but it would make more sense to ban by user/email).    If it is to be a permanent ban of that IP (which might actually affect real users, BTW) then you should be placing the IP in a deny list in your .htaccess file and saving your system the processing time form having to calculate the SMF ban on every page load.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Uninstall the "IPv6 Support" mod and see how you go on.

makv

Quote from: Shambles on May 09, 2015, 10:20:51 AM

Interesting, thanks. That mod was actually installed by a previous admin of the forum. What does it actually do?

makv

Quote from: Kindred on May 09, 2015, 10:06:30 AM
what IP address are your trying to ban?

what mods do you have installed?
what version of SMF?

More importantly, why are you attempting to ban an IP address?   If it is a temp ban, then using the SMF ban system makes sense (but it would make more sense to ban by user/email).    If it is to be a permanent ban of that IP (which might actually affect real users, BTW) then you should be placing the IP in a deny list in your .htaccess file and saving your system the processing time form having to calculate the SMF ban on every page load.

The actual problem I have is that I'm getting 1,000s of messages of this nature:

Sorry, you have reached your login attempts threshold. Please wait 30 seconds and try again later.

All from the same address. These are literally subseconds apart. The IP address has previously been used by one of our users in one post, although he's a big poster to the forum. I'm concerned that there may be some kind of hacking attempt, so was trying to take the brute force approach before addressing the underlying problem, whatever that may be.

As for mods, my suspicion is that it is related to tapatalk.

Shambles

Quote from: makv
Quote from: Shambles

Interesting, thanks. ... What does it actually do?
Seriously?

It's right there in the modifications section.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3051

That mod is the cause of a lot of your issues - check its support thread and post there for further details.

makv

Quote from: Shambles on May 10, 2015, 09:05:23 AM
Quote from: makv
Quote from: Shambles

Interesting, thanks. ... What does it actually do?
Seriously?

It's right there in the modifications section.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3051

That mod is the cause of a lot of your issues - check its support thread and post there for further details.

Yes, seriously. The ... in my post that you deleted in your quote said "That mod was actually installed by a previous admin of the forum." Of course I have read the modifications section, but I simply don't understand the description, so I was asking for some help in understanding what it does. Seriously.

Colin

It adds support for IPv6, but I suspect that your real question is what is IPv6. Hence, here is a bit of background on IPv6:

QuoteIPv6 is short for "Internet Protocol Version 6". IPv6 is the Internet's next-generation protocol, designed to replace the current Internet Protocol, IP Version 4.
In order to communicate over the Internet, computers and other devices must have sender and receiver addresses. These numeric addresses are known as Internet Protocol addresses. As the Internet and the number of people using it grows exponentially, so does the need for IP addresses.
IPv6 is a standard developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force, an organization that develops Internet technologies. The IETF, anticipating the need for more IP addresses, created IPv6 to accommodate the growing number of users and devices accessing the Internet.
IPv6 allows more users and devices to communicate on the Internet by using bigger numbers to create IP addresses. Under IPv4, every IP address is 32 bits long, which allows 4.3 billion unique addresses. An example IPv4 address is:
In comparison, IPv6 addresses are 128 bits, which allow for approximately three hundred and forty trillion, trillion unique IP addresses. An example IPv6 address is:
2001:db8:ffff:1:201:02ff:fe03:0405

IPv6 also relieves other networking issues that can arise due to the limited number of addresses available on IPv4. For example, IPv6 reduces the need for Network Address Translation, a service that allows multiple clients to share a single IP address, but is not always reliable.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Shambles

Nice, Colin, but if makv doesn't know how to use Google he/she certainly won't understand any of your quote.

makv

Thanks Colin. I do have a high-level understanding of IPv6, thanks. I guess my questions really comes down to this ... what are the consequences of removing the mod, and therefore NOT supporting the protocol on my particular forum. Does it mean that users with IPv6 addresses will not be able to access the forum?

Illori

they can access without the mod, just their ip address will not show up correctly in posts and you can not ban such a user by ip address.

gnif

I realise this is a necro post, but since google turns up this thread for this problem I figured it's worth posting the solution.

There is bug in 'Sources/Subs.php' on lines 3726-3729 where:

$ip_array[5] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[6] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[7] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[8] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);

Should be:

$ip_array[4] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[5] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[6] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);
  $ip_array[7] = array('low' => 0, 'high' => 0);

Advertisement: