Member groups, permissions

Started by Artmotiv, January 09, 2019, 04:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artmotiv

Hi!

I'am testing forum visibilty and cannot setup this few things

1) first; print screen 1
I am stuck wtih deleting "Post count based groups"
I can delete all except one post count group renamed to "rookie" - thats strange since I don't want to have post count user group.

2) second print screen 2,3,4
I've created restricted member group with restrictions for members in that group - which are:
- unable to see boards and forums - except one (first)
But test user is still able to see and create topics and reply.

On screenshot 5 you can see what user under member can actually see which is not according above mentioned settings.

Please help.
Thanks in advance

ps. basically I need help with setup permissions, member groups, because I have things that needs to be configured but I'm not sure how to do it properly.

Kindred

1st and foremost, you can not ever delete these 0 cout post count based group. If you attempt to delete it by direct database edit you will screw up your system and give everyone admin access. For your 2nd question, your issue is that SMF is an inclusive permission system. If any group they belong to has a permission then the user is allowed that permission even if every other group has that permission disallowed. So you must make sure that the user does not belong to any other group. And every user belongs to the all members group
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Artmotiv

Quote from: Kindred on January 09, 2019, 04:55:16 PM
1st and foremost, you can not ever delete these 0 cout post count based group. If you attempt to delete it by direct database edit you will screw up your system and give everyone admin access. For your 2nd question, your issue is that SMF is an inclusive permission system. If any group they belong to has a permission then the user is allowed that permission even if every other group has that permission disallowed. So you must make sure that the user does not belong to any other group. And every user belongs to the all members group

okay ... I see the problem.

Test user is member of:
- Post count based groups - I dont want him in this member group - how can I remove him from this group?
- Restricted member group in which I add him manually

Arantor

You can't. The system requires they be in post count based groups. Just have 1 group, starting at 0 posts, call it Member.

Artmotiv

Quote from: Arantor on January 09, 2019, 05:34:34 PM
You can't. The system requires they be in post count based groups. Just have 1 group, starting at 0 posts, call it Member.

if I delete postcount user group, what will happened with users in it?

example if I delete user group Member, and leave Rookie - (since Rookie cannot be deleted)

Arantor

As long as there is one group that starts at 0 posts, it'll be fine. If you do break this, BAD things happen.

Artmotiv

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2019, 02:35:24 AM
As long as there is one group that starts at 0 posts, it'll be fine. If you do break this, BAD things happen.

Thank you ;)

What about question number 2 - how can I help myself with that?

Thx
Art

Arantor

You can't. A user, by design in the database, is in two groups. If you delete the 25 post group, the see will be automoved to the 0 post group.

If that doesn't exist, the user is auto promoted to full admin. You must have them in a post count group.

Artmotiv

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2019, 03:28:39 AM
You can't. A user, by design in the database, is in two groups. If you delete the 25 post group, the see will be automoved to the 0 post group.

If that doesn't exist, the user is auto promoted to full admin. You must have them in a post count group.

I don`t think that we are talking about same thing :)

I've created member group "restricted" with restrictions for members in that group.
Restriction is:
- unable to see boards and forums - except one (first)

But test user is still able to see and create topics and reply.

Please see print screens (attachments 2-3-4-5) in first post :)

Arantor

Go to the configuration of the board and remove the post count group from it.

Artmotiv

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2019, 04:53:05 AM
Go to the configuration of the board and remove the post count group from it.

don`t understand how`s that related with what user under "restricted" member group can see some boards?
That is secod question from first post.

Because I set restrictions in view for that member group.

Arantor

You set restrictions for one group, the user is in two groups. The second group may be giving access. And you can't remove the user from that second group without major changes to the code and database.

Artmotiv

Quote from: Arantor on January 10, 2019, 05:11:58 AM
You set restrictions for one group, the user is in two groups. The second group may be giving access. And you can't remove the user from that second group without major changes to the code and database.

I don`t understand that kind of logic :(
Yes, he is in two member groups and obviously "members" user group gives him permission to see whole forum.

One is part of "regular user groups", user group called "Restricted" and other one is
part of "Post count based groups" user group called "Member" where are all logged users.

At the end, what I want with user, user groups and permissions is;
When some new user register, I want him to be able to see only restriced boards eg. part for introduction and forum rules.
After he makes intro topic, admin staff should transfer him in usergroup from which he will be able to read and write in whole forum (except admin/mod part) - thats all :)

And when I ban someone that I`m sure that he will not be able to read or write :)

Does someone have somekind of tutorial of user management for dummies and noobs with SMF forums?

Kindred

So, remove the post-count based group (rookie, or whatever you choose to rename it to be) from access to the board.

BOARD A (allowed groups: restricted members, approved members)
BOARD B (allowed groups: approved members)

in this case:
restricted members will see board A and will not see board B
approved members will see board A and board B
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

I think you wont have usable system, because with time there will be spam bots and other problems. So on your place I would create except default with 0 posts, at least one more post based membergroup with 2 posts, based on your plans with post moderation or without, ofc with 0 post must to have. It can happen if you move back user to default 0 posts membergroup or if you reduce his number of posts to 0 or in range of default membergroup user may need to go through email verification for 2nd time. Board access can be set with more post based or with other type of membergroups.

Kindred

Ummmmmmmm..  no
There is no need for that.
Just prevent the spam bots from registering in the first place
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: