Should I share Document Root with my other hosted websites?

Started by concorde7, December 15, 2018, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concorde7

I am migrating/consolidating about 10 domains to a new host that were scattered to different registrars and 3 of these URL's will be independent websites for 2 separate businesses and 1 personal site. The rest of the domains are just there to have it all consolidated until they will be used/redirected or whatever. When adding these new domains (Creating Domain) in c-panel should I share document root with the 'main domain' or is this a bad idea? Is there a reason not to or to do so? Are there lop-sided security risks one way or the other or is this just a matter of preference?

GigaWatt

I use a separate directory for each domain and subdomain. It makes things more tidy and you can always find your way around ;), not to mention changing permissions on one domain will affect a bunch of other domains when they share the same root directory.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: