Option to drag and drop URL / hyperlink?

Started by serval, January 10, 2019, 06:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

serval

My apologies if this is in the wrong board.

When creating a post, if you click on the button to "Insert Hyperlink" :

you get the following :

[url][/url]

I use this function massively. My thoughts:

1] Would it be an easy matter to change this to:

[url=] [/url]

?

Then I could more quickly cut and paste an URL into it and format it correctly, for example:

[url=fictional-news.com]Fictional News[/url]

2] Better still, I was a member of a film forum (now defunct) where, when you copied and pasted an URL name, such as:

fictional-news.com

the link would automatically be formatted and inserted, with the given site name, e.g.

Fictional News 

I suggested this change to the chief techie of our coin forum, but he didn't know how to do it. Does SMF have an app to allow this?

serval

In my fictional example, I forgot to add the starting code, of course:

[url=https://fictional-news.com]Fictional News[/url]

serval

Now that I'm in the right board and have read your notes, I'll add that the coin forum of which I am a member uses SMF 2.0.15.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

serval

Thank you very much, Kindred. I will show this to our chief techie on the coin forum.

izotz

Quote from: Kindred on January 11, 2019, 03:40:34 AM
https://github.com/Spuds/SMF-Descriptive-Links [nofollow]

I was having a look at this, as I'd like to have it in our forum. I could only a page describing an older version of the mod :
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=470471.0
That links to a mod that doesn't exist. So I wonder where I can download the packaged version in order to install it. Would it be as simple as downloading the files in Github and zip them?

On the other hand, that code has not been updated for 5 years, so I can't tell if it works with the latest versions of SMF software. Does anybody know if this would work with 2.0.15?

Kindred

Download from git...

And yes, we use it on fx-sabers
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

izotz

I got to download it, zip it, and install it. It looks like it is working. We'll give it a try.
Thanks for the info.

serval

Well, we just tried it. A lot of the time it worked fine, but not always. Izotz, the techie, noted this:

There was something in its configuration preventing to act on any URL containing the following :
home,index,page title,default,login,logon,welcome,ebay

I tried it with our home page, but just got this:

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php

I noted:

The code needs tweaking.  It dislikes certain unusual URL endings.

The code simply needs to take the title from the open tab - when you have the tab open and copy the url.

I suppose that with a few judicious "IF" clauses, or whatever this language uses, it could be made to work in all cases - but that's not something I know how to do.  :(

Kindred

No...  that might be whatbyour "techie" thinks, but that is not what this mod (nor any of the others) do, and is not at all how they work.

Слaва
Украинi

Shambles

Quote from: serval

There was something in its configuration preventing to act on any URL containing the following :
home,index,page title,default,login,logon,welcome,ebay

That list is in the mod's configuration.

serval

Thank you for all your help. Unfortunately our forum administrator has had to call time on it, as there is more pressing work elsewhere on the forum for our "techie". With a little more time we could probably have worked it out and tweaked the configuration, as you say, but it was not to be.

Advertisement: