News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Photo options - Was Re: SMF 2.1 Beta 3 Released

Started by ModelBoatMayhem, January 11, 2019, 01:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 10, 2019, 11:52:20 PM

Yeah, I've been with SMF since 2005, so 14 years or so, and have never heard my users complain of those "missing features" that are available on other platforms - Actually, looking at the feature list of phpBB for example, I can't say what those are...
My Forum is very photo / Image intensive (  over 10Gigs worth! )  ..... SMF is Very poor at image handling, no resizing, no gallery, no file / folder organization.....   :'(

So many users expect Facebook simplicity these days....  :-\
That's my firm opinion.... but what do I know?!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There are plenty of options for SMF on that front too, as mods - and mind you - SMF is not a gallery software, so don't expect options like you'd get from gallery software. SMF is a forum, first and foremost.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 01:08:12 PM
There are plenty of options for SMF on that front too, as mods - and mind you - SMF is not a gallery software, so don't expect options like you'd get from gallery software. SMF is a forum, first and foremost.

Agreed... but for me that's part of the issue, your forcing me into unstable, unsupported Mods, etc, etc.
Without wanting to sound like a idiot Project Manager, 'this is Sparta  2019'!SMF should be looking into the NOW, not just making it , 'a bit better.' 
  As I say, "I don't know how to code, I don't know the difficulties... I'm just a consumer of SMF."
I know what I want from SMF, but if the SMF  road map doesn't match that,  Is now the time to be looking elsewhere for the future of my Forum?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, how about Coppermine bridged with SMF for example. Completely doable, coppermine even has a Curve replica theme for this.
Coppermine is also very much alive, and supported - just got an update in december actually.
I know, because I run a Coppermine gallery bridged with my 2.0.15.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

I did try Coppermine years ago but it played havoc with my backups and whenever SMF release an Update, how is it for you now?
!

How do Coppermine DB and & backups work?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Haven't had problems, but haven't had need for backups either - I keep snapshot backups of my server, including complete databases and file structures - don't quite know how Coppermine would be a problem though, the bridge is basically there just to do user integration, nothing more.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

Just looked at the Coppermine 'Demo', is there a simple add image to post option with Coppermione?
Auto resize option?
Folder options?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Coppermine is a standalone gallery, just with an option to bridge with SMF. It offers an easy to copy/paste BBC code for adding images to posts, and it has resizing and folder options that are somewhat configurable by gallery or by user, both on the web and on the server.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

So instead of SMF plus a mod, you want SMF and another platform and maybe a mod to bridge...?

ModelBoatMayhem

I really want a 'one-click', 'shrink wrapped' product - a Forum platform well severed for images.....  :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That would be SMF + a gallery mod, like Levgal. Or SMF Gallery.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 02:09:22 PM
Coppermine is a standalone gallery, just with an option to bridge with SMF. It offers an easy to copy/paste BBC code for adding images to posts, and it has resizing and folder options that are somewhat configurable by gallery or by user, both on the web and on the server.

I'm using  Chevereto for that now, a good product but their support is a real pain in the arse!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Have to say, I'm completely oblivious about them - so I can't do comparing of any sort to anything.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: ModelBoatMayhem on January 11, 2019, 02:41:14 PM

I'm using  Chevereto for that now, a good product but their support is a real pain in the arse!

And I'm anxious of the same with Coppermine.
( So far I've tried 8 different 'image packages, options, Mods, add-ons, websites ... NONE intuitive or simple to manage...... sigh.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If I may suggest, since coppermine is a standalone script - just test it by yourself without the bridging, separate from your current install and just see if it's worth the trouble in your own opinion after that :)

EDIT:
Just remember, you pretty much need to delete all and start from scratch if you want to move forward and bridge SMF and Coppermine. (Because it will then only use userdata and permissions based on data from SMF)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Arantor on January 11, 2019, 03:00:54 PM
Did you try Levgal yet, out of interest?
Me, or MBM? I have, and use it as well, just a little differently than I do the Coppermine. They both have their place.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ModelBoatMayhem

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 02:53:46 PM
If I may suggest, since coppermine is a standalone script - just test it by yourself without the bridging, separate from your current install and just see if it's worth the trouble in your own opinion after that :)

EDIT:
Just remember, you pretty much need to delete all and start from scratch if you want to move forward and bridge SMF and Coppermine. (Because it will then only use userdata and permissions based on data from SMF)

Is there an interactive Demo of Coppermine i can use / test?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ModelBoatMayhem on January 11, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 11, 2019, 02:53:46 PM

EDIT:

Is there an interactive Demo of Coppermine i can use / test?

Sorry, no idea really - I'm just a user of Coppermine, like you are a user of SMF. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: