News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Website Not Accessible on TV Browser

Started by Biology Forums, January 12, 2019, 11:02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

HI all

I tried accessing my website via two separate TV browsers, one that comes with my smart TV, and one that I plugin that gives me access to android apps which connects to my television, both show that https://biology-forums.com is inaccessible.

Both devices are connected to the same wifi network that my computer is connected to and tablet.

I removed everything found in my .htaccess configuration file and disabled bad behavior, but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm curious what you think the problem may be, it used to work fine a year ago.

Arantor

Define 'inaccessible'. Is it a routing failure or is it getting to the site and failing once it gets there?

Biology Forums

It's not displaying the website at all, generic browser error saying "the web page is not available". Apache logs and error logs not showing up either.

[12/Jan/2019:12:50:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 301 235 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; NetCast; U) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.33 Safari/537.31 SmartTV/5.0"

When I try accessing any other website also found on my server, they also don't work

vbgamer45

Try to see if you can load a simple text file from your website from the web brwoser.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Biology Forums

That doesn't work either. Would anyone mind trying to access my site on their television to see if it's an isolated problem?

Tonyvic

Your site works fine on my LG Smart TV using the default browser. (I'm in the UK) :)

Biology Forums

Quote from: Tonyvic on January 12, 2019, 01:53:07 PM
Your site works fine on my LG Smart TV using the default browser. (I'm in the UK) :)

Thank you for checking. I'm using an LG also, so I'm baffled by what I see. I'll delete the history and see if it works.

Update: didn't

GigaWatt

Something might be wrong with the DNS configuration in the TV. Can you enter a custom DNS (let's say Google's)?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Biology Forums

Quote from: GigaWatt on January 12, 2019, 02:15:22 PM
Something might be wrong with the DNS configuration in the TV. Can you enter a custom DNS (let's say Google's)?

Could that be done through the address bar?

vbgamer45

More like the TV Settings/Menu system to change DNS lookups.
I would also trying updating to latest firmware.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

GigaWatt

Quote from: Study Force on January 12, 2019, 02:59:54 PM
Could that be done through the address bar?

No, you have to edit the network configuration on the device... can't say for sure if you need root access for this.

See if you can edit any of the settings in the network configuration if it's connected via Ethernet. If it's via Wi-Fi, doubt there will be any advanced settings :-\.

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 12, 2019, 03:07:31 PM
I would also trying updating to latest firmware.

LG is terrible with their firmware updates. I think you only get like... 3 or 4 year support for the OS for their smart TVs... a colleague of mine has a problem like this with an LG smart TV. No firmware updates, so he can't watch YouTube videos any more ::). Kinda ironic... having a smart TV that can't do anything smart ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Biology Forums

Could be a firmware thing, but for now I think it's a little far fetched, reason is, other websites, including this one work. I was hoping someone who's an expert with servers could ping my server's IP to see if my site is accessible throughout the globe, just to be certain it's not a localized issue.

GigaWatt

No problem on my end. Pinged the site, pinged the IP, opened the site in a browser, no problem ;).

Biology Forums

Quote from: GigaWatt on January 12, 2019, 03:58:59 PM
No problem on my end. Pinged the site, pinged the IP, opened the site in a browser, no problem ;).

Thanks for checking! I'll mark this as a mystery for now, but if anyone has more diagnostic information, please share

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Study Force on January 12, 2019, 01:04:23 PM
It's not displaying the website at all, generic browser error saying "the web page is not available". Apache logs and error logs not showing up either.

[12/Jan/2019:12:50:08 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 301 235 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; NetCast; U) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.33 Safari/537.31 SmartTV/5.0"

When I try accessing any other website also found on my server, they also don't work
301 means "moved permanently" so I could guess the request is hitting a redirect for some reason, and this redirect is failing either due to the browser - or simply because it is misconfigured.
Any idea why it would end up in a 301?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Biology Forums

I do have some directives in my htaccess file that redirect, but I temporarily removed them, tested, and still it failed.

raquelsanchezst

Quote from: Study Force on January 12, 2019, 11:02:26 AM
HI all

I tried accessing my website via two separate TV browsers, one that comes with my smart TV, and one that I plugin that gives me access to android apps which connects to my television, both show that is inaccessible.

Both devices are connected to the same wifi network that my computer is connected to and tablet.

I removed everything found in my .htaccess configuration file and disabled bad behavior, but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm curious what you think the problem may be, it used to work fine a year ago.

Is posible that this problem is the company telecomunications.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Study Force on January 29, 2019, 10:55:25 PM
I do have some directives in my htaccess file that redirect, but I temporarily removed them, tested, and still it failed.
Any log entries? Different than before?
Access logs are the best bet for now, if error logs give nothing.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

drewactual

drop a "viewport" meta tag in your header... i.e.:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

your browser may not like not having some direction, and it may be that simple.  most the common one's can negotiate this, but one on a tv that is likely already expecting to scale a site? maybe not....

Biology Forums

I want to update everyone with the answer. My server was the problem, it wasn't configured for TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1... Only TLS 1.2, and many of them old browsers can't load pages coming from 1.2. After enabling, all works.

Advertisement: