News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Switch from 1.1.21 to 2.0.15 with Upgrade from SQL 4 to SQL 5

Started by trth, January 15, 2019, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

1.1 themes won't work in 2.0, you'll have to install compatible themes in Admin -> Themes and Layout.

Converting database to utf-8 in phpmyadmin may not solve your character problem.  Have you run conversion in Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Database?  If your db is large, may have to run it several times to get it to complete.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

trth

I don´t see the Admin Button so I can´t get to the administration panel to change the theme  :o I saw it after the first try, but not any more after the second.

I tried conversion - all it did was to make funny signs anywhere  ;D

But as I said - don´t mind latin1 and UFT. I can change the topics, and when you write new posts it´s ok. It´s a little nasty, but I COULD live with that. Though I don´t understand why it works in 1.1.14 and not in 2.0.15. Anything to do with the PHP version (if not don´t laugh too loud, I´m not so firm in these things  ???)?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

trth

www.backstage-wrestling.de

Right now it´s back on 1.1.14 and SQL 4. The SQL 5 is ready to be used. If you want me to upgrade I can start right away.

If you want to log in I need Username / PW - because of all the spambots we shut down the registration.

Sir Osis of Liver

When you upgrade to 2.0.15, your forum is still using a 1.1 theme, that's why you have no Admin button.  Do the upgrade, then use http://www.backstage-wrestling.de/index.php?theme=1 to load the forum, it should switch to default Curve theme (what you see here) and you'll have admin access.

- R. Waters

trth

oh ok, cool, thanks for this  :)

So there´s only the little question of the change from latin1 to UFT8...  I will give it a try in the DB any may try conversion one more time. Last time it even changed my theme-panels?  :o

Sir Osis of Liver

Utf-8 conversion shouldn't change anything except collation.  If you manually convert tables to utf-8 in phpmyadmin, I don't believe it converts characters in existing posts, only new posts.  The admin conversion converts existing posts, so everything should display correctly, but it sometimes doesn't get through a large db in one go, you have to run it several times.  If you had converted to utf-8 in 1.1, db should still be utf-8 after upgrade, but iirc (I may not), there was no utf-8 conversion in 1.1.

- R. Waters

trth

Quote from: Kindred on January 15, 2019, 05:00:38 PM
those commands are run from the SQL tab in phpmyadmin

I tried - it says: "ALTER DATABASE db212587 CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci;" - Operation succesful, 0,0004 seconds" - but nothing happened. It´s still all latin1

Sir Osis of Liver

You can change collation in phpmyadmin in Operations tab.

- R. Waters

trth

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 15, 2019, 06:25:14 PM
Utf-8 conversion shouldn't change anything except collation.  If you manually convert tables to utf-8 in phpmyadmin, I don't believe it converts characters in existing posts, only new posts.  The admin conversion converts existing posts, so everything should display correctly, but it sometimes doesn't get through a large db in one go, you have to run it several times.  If you had converted to utf-8 in 1.1, db should still be utf-8 after upgrade, but iirc (I may not), there was no utf-8 conversion in 1.1.

there actually IS a conversion in 1.1.14. I might just try it - if it kills anything I can play back the backup... though it says "this operation might kill all your data"  O:)

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 15, 2019, 06:29:21 PM
You can change collation in phpmyadmin in Operations tab.

yeah, right, just saw it. What of those should be used? UFT8_bin? Is there any danger or risk in doing this?

Kindred

Yes, a 1.1.x theme will not work on 2.0.x

Go into admin and reset everyone and the default to use the curve/default theme
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

utf8_general_ci

If you have a good backup, there's no risk.  As posted earlier, don't believe phpmyadmin converts existing data, but admin conversion does.

- R. Waters

Kindred

That ALter database command only changes the default collation for new tables, going forward.

I gave you THREE commands to run.... :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

trth

thank you both.

I will give it a try tomorrow night. No Risk no Fun  ;D

trth

no luck with no way to change those "ü" to an "ü" for example.

Ain´t there a way to change the language  - I mean to tell the board "when you see an "ü" you write an "ü"?

OK, perhaps here is the solution: all my tables in SQL are Latin1. All? No. There are two (that I didn´t change) that are UFT8. Might be the mix that causes the problem? I guess I will change those to Latin1 und see what happens...

Sir Osis of Liver

Why are you using BigDump?  Have you tried exporting with phpmyadmin?

- R. Waters

trth

Yeah, sure. phpmyadmin is ok for exporting - but as the dump has about 300 MB I can´t import it with phpmyadim.

So I export with phpmyadmin - but have to import with BigDump.

trth

Quote from: trth on January 17, 2019, 05:01:56 PM
OK, perhaps here is the solution: all my tables in SQL are Latin1. All? No. There are two (that I didn´t change) that are UFT8. Might be the mix that causes the problem? I guess I will change those to Latin1 und see what happens...

That didn´t work - I tried: "ALTER TABLE smf_log_search_messages CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci;" - but it didn´t change

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you zip the dump?  I can't import large databases, I have my host do it.  If the characters display correctly in 1.1, they should be good in 2.0.  Afaik, upgrade does not affect collation, but BigDump may be doing something that does.

- R. Waters

trth

I tried to zip to import it, but it´s always too big - so I have to use BigDump.

I found out something quite funny: straight after the setup of the new forum it IS in german. All fine - but it say that my default theme settings are wrong (correct - I import the Dump but for testing it is on another domain - I have to change this in settings.php).

After the change - it´s english.

I´m going slightly mad here...  :o

Advertisement: