News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how to implement private group?

Started by Paul2, January 18, 2019, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul2

Hello,

I'd like to implement a private group within our forum (threads and postings only readable and writeable by selected members) but everyone should be able to see that this private group exists. How does configuration work?

regards
Paul

Mick.

I'm thinking you can create a special member group. Like VIP or something and create the board and assign that member group to it. Then select users you want to be in this special membergroup

Illori

how do you want the group to be visible to all?

Mick.

Problem with that is, other users will never see/know there is a private board unless you make a post about it?

Paul2

my problem:
  when I restrict the new board to a certain member group the existence of the new board is not visible for all others
  when I allow the new board to all, everyone can read all articles in the new board

I'm pretty sure there is a solution for this simple problem. But which?

Arantor

There is no official solution in SMF for this. There are various addons but none of them are maintained.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could make a redirect board that is not visible to group members, is visible to everyone else, and redirects to the requestable group memberships... for example.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

efk

Another idea, make board inside board, so board will contain info about private child-board (board description will do its job and/or topics). I forgot how requestable membergroups works but should be somewhere in profile or something like that (I mean not sure how users can request membership). Also you approve/deny members through Moderation Center.
I found genius idea some time ago for my forum for organizing attachments. Created 1 not visible board to regular users and inside visible board to everyone including guests, so when uploading images to that board no one can see it, but I can use them on site or outside site.  This can give you even more ideas for manipulation with boards. Also if you want to bring everything to another level play with Permission Profiles, make few per boards and enjoy your labyrinth  ;)

Advertisement: