News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New users unable to register

Started by Jarhead0331, January 19, 2019, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I've been having all sorts of problems since I migrated my forum to a new server. It broke all sorts of things and I'm just trying to sort them out as they come.

The latest thing that seems to be broken is registration for new users. Some have reported receiving a 404 error when clicking on the registration link. When I try it myself, the page hangs on the hxxp:xxxxxxx.com/forums/index.php?action=register [nonactive] page, which stays blank.

I'm not sure where to even look for a solution to this problem.

Oh yeah...to make matters worse, and I know I'm going to get it for this, but in order to keep my host from shutting down the forum, I've had to turn off my error log because it returns several errors a second and the error log was exceeding my allotted file space...I know, I know...its a temporary measure until I can find someone to with enough expertise to help. In the meantime, however, I'm very upset new members are unable to register.

Thanks.

vbgamer45

Couple questions
What version of SMF.
What version of php
What mods installed
Do you have any sample errors in your errors log
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Jarhead0331

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 19, 2019, 10:13:29 PM
Couple questions
What version of SMF.
What version of php
What mods installed
Do you have any sample errors in your errors log

Thanks for helping...

1. SMF 2.0.15
2. PHP version: 5.6.30. I believe my php version is out of date, but I'm afraid to update it.
3. Mods - Send locked topics to bottom, Ad Seller Pro, Recent Forum Topics Boardindex, and Stop Forum Spam
4. When go to the error log in the maintenance section of the admin area, it says "There are currently no error log entries" but I presume this is because I have shut it down.

Thanks again.

vbgamer45

4. I would reenable briefly and see if any errors are logged. If not check your apache server log

2. You can safely upgrade to PHP 7.1 for SMF 2.0.x

If nothing else trying removing the stopforumspam mod since that does touch registration
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Jarhead0331

Quote from: vbgamer45 on January 19, 2019, 10:33:34 PM

If nothing else trying removing the stopforumspam mod since that does touch registration

I tried the path of least resistance first, and that was it. I deleted the mod and registration appears to be working now...

So...what do I do about spammers now? They were frequent without the mod. Are there any others you might suggest?

Thanks.

drewactual

howdy Jarhead0331, i'm an old 0311 with some secondaries... got out back in 95...

moved servers?  what flavor of apache are you using now?  404's sound like a permission's issue, and easy to happen on a migrated forum... especially with MPM and FPM running, as they look for 'user' and reject anonymous connections...

if this is the case, this is a host issue.  you'll only know, though, if you can see the error log.   

drewactual

sweet- disregard my last then, Sir.  I use cleantalk with my setup, and it seems to work just fine.  before you hand out of such a thing, though, try using the challenge questions for registration- something anyone on your subject should know, but will drive a bot or a person (usually foreign) crazy.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: drewactual on January 19, 2019, 10:43:29 PM
howdy Jarhead0331, i'm an old 0311/8541... got out back in 95...

moved servers?  what flavor of apache are you using now?  404's sound like a permission's issue, and easy to happen on a migrated forum... especially with MPM and FPM running, as they look for 'user' and reject anonymous connections...

if this is the case, this is a host issue.  you'll only know, though, if you can see the error log.

Semper Fi, drewactual. Your EAS was the same year I went in. lol.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with "apache". What is that exactly?

My host is flippin' useless...its Godaddy. They absolutely suck suck suck and I hate them, but I feel stuck. I'm not sophisticated at all when it comes to this stuff and I'm really just learning.

Thanks again for everybody's patience and candor.

drewactual

no worries about the apache if you're good now.  it's the operating system of the server, though, and comes in several types- and i discovered the permissions thing when i moved once or i wouldn't know a thing about it. 

godaddy doesn't have a very good reputation around here (or elsewhere)... seems they're always changing things w/o heads up on people...

re: Marine Corps- I don't even know why I got out, to be honest- I've been private contracting since '01.  I'd have a LOT of years had I stayed in (but a lot less money lol).....

Jarhead0331

Quote from: drewactual on January 19, 2019, 10:54:27 PM
no worries about the apache if you're good now.  it's the operating system of the server, though, and comes in several types- and i discovered the permissions thing when i moved once or i wouldn't know a thing about it. 

godaddy doesn't have a very good reputation around here (or elsewhere)... seems they're always changing things w/o heads up on people...

re: Marine Corps- I don't even know why I got out, to be honest- I've been private contracting since '01.  I'd have a LOT of years had I stayed in (but a lot less money lol).....

A buddy of mine did the same thing. Got out and has been doing private contract work since. I'm the sucker. I got out and went to law school. Now he spends most of his free time in Thailand living like a king and I'm working myself into an early grave.

drewactual

hah! my wife is an attorney... she got her bachelors, couldn't find money... got her masters- still no go- then the law degree and passed bar... she does well and all, but that student debt is a cloud that'll sooner or later do what it's been threatening for years now.

i haven't left the states now for almost ten years.  at one time, though.... lived out of a flight bag for a long time.  funny how life happens, huh?

Well sir- hope your forum is working properly now.. I'd advise to get away from godaddy... they are trouble.  I had a dedicated with a host for almost 20 years, but they shuttered down last July/August... been with hostgator since- on a dedicated.  they've been great so far.  they have some nice packages to choose from in a shared environment too, but i can't speak for those.  there are a ton of better solutions than godaddy, though.   

vbgamer45

I would suggest using questions and answers under admin -> antispam and moderation I believe.  I use that along with recaptcha

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: