News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to get ReCAPTCHA to work in SMF 2.1 ?

Started by landyvlad, January 21, 2019, 06:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

I decided to give reCAPTCHA  try so I followed the relevant link and set it up for reCAPTCHA v3.

I entered the public and private keys into the relevant boxes in the SMF anit spam - recaptcha admin area.  And saved.

Someone attempted to register and got (the attached)

Suggestions?

My test site: http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

live627

Your keys must be for v2 of the api. I've only tried the checkbox type, since that's the one I used when I integrated it.

Antes

Quote from: live627 on January 21, 2019, 05:23:35 PM
Your keys must be for v2 of the api. I've only tried the checkbox type, since that's the one I used when I integrated it.

Maybe a small language change to state that SMF using v2.

landyvlad

Thanks

I've now changed it to recaptcha v2 keys so hopefully it works now.

Feel free to try for me :)
http://www.gsx1400owners.org/test21forum/
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

landyvlad

Hmm seems to have got worse.  Went with a V2 setup and now get this...

Dzonny

Quote from: landyvlad on January 21, 2019, 08:46:06 PM
Hmm seems to have got worse.  Went with a V2 setup and now get this...

I can see captcha image and checkbox there, but I can also see the input field below which I'm not sure what's there for.

Shambles

Quote from: Dzonny
I can see captcha image and checkbox there, but I can also see the input field below which I'm not sure what's there for.

I believe that's being discussed in the reCaptcha mod support thread, to do with setting questions in conjunction with reCaptcha.

Illori

SMF 2.1 has recaptcha by default, so it is not using the mod.

landyvlad

Yes correct 2.1 has it by default.

Dzonny - thanks. Someone else had the same result - see attachment - I presume that's what you are seeing too ?

I'm wondering if that's where the verification question is supposed to appear.

lurkalot

Quote from: landyvlad on January 22, 2019, 05:39:40 PM
Yes correct 2.1 has it by default.

Dzonny - thanks. Someone else had the same result - see attachment - I presume that's what you are seeing too ?

I'm wondering if that's where the verification question is supposed to appear.

I also had this very same thing. 

Yes that's where the verification question is when it's working.  On my test site the that text entry box was showing without the question, even though the number of verification to show was set to 0.  The only way to get rid of that rogue entry box was to delete the question(s) and save.

lurkalot

Just managed to get it to do it again.  Screenshot, one showing the extra entry box, but no question, and one showing the setting.

Again the only way to get rid of that entry box was to remove the question and answer. And save.

Arantor

Check it isn't the intentional hidden input showing.

live627

I looked at the site of landyvlad.  The hidden input works as expected. The element in question is

<input type="text" name="register_vv[q][]" size="30" value="" tabindex="8" required="">

landyvlad

live627 - I don't understand that at all, but I assume it wasn't directed at me anyway, :) but to others who may be able to help resolve the issue.

live627

That's right.

As I posted in reply #10, a fix is in the worsts,

Sesquipedalian

The fix that live627 linked to above has been merged.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

landyvlad

when was it merged.

About 12 hours ago I updated my test forum with latest nightly from  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.20

The behaviour continues as before - badly :D - so apparently hasn't been sorted yet.

Be good when it is, because it's a pretty major issue if there are problems with members trying to register.

landyvlad

further to the above post - I'm told that if a registering user waits long enough they get this.

The theory that has been proposed is that it might have something to do with https... ?

So does the actual forum need to be HTTPS before recaptcha will work?

Advertisement: