News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Google Automated Ads and SMF Forums

Started by rhnegativeforum, January 27, 2019, 06:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhnegativeforum

Hi everyone!
I am running SMF on www.rhesusnegative.net/rhnegativeforum
Since I have activated Google Adsense Automated Adsense, I am wondering which is the simplest way and where to install my code to have it show up all over the forums.

P.S.: The content of the forum is hidden and visible to members only. Will that make a difference?
I'm here because my forum is the only part of my site I am not proud of. I am here to fix that. Take a look if you have time to give me some advice and if you do, do so here.

vbgamer45

I like to do placements not auto ads since they don't appear everywhere.

Then use a mod like ad management mod to do the placements
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

drewactual

just a warning:

Adsense will not like being on pages without a certain amount of content and will put you in the penalty box for doing so.  They also don't like being put in places inaccessible by the public, and will put you in the penalty box for that too. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Actually, unless I am mistaken, adding adsense to a members only site is in violation of the AdSense rules directly, because in AdSense's point of view all ads will be on landing pages - and that is forbidden. This is at least how I have interpreted the rules for years now.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

drewactual

It is in violation.
If his/her site was more than just a forum, ie with a lot of content and the forum blended in, he might not be in violation so long as the ads didnt show up on members only pages.  But, after looking at his site there isnt any way to pull it off and stay within the rules.

rhnegativeforum

Thank you to all of you for your replies. I was under the impression that with Automated Ads, I just add a code and Google decides where to place ads. No penalty risk. My question would be where to add that Google code to cover the entire forum. Within a month or two, I am going to make the main part of the forum public. So what I want to do is simply add the code so ads will start appearing where Google thinks they should be placed.
I'm here because my forum is the only part of my site I am not proud of. I am here to fix that. Take a look if you have time to give me some advice and if you do, do so here.

Mick.

If your forum is private as a guest, google can't access either to read your website so it can show relevant ads. Not sure if that's a violation but i've been fooled before.

Anyways, copy and paste the autoads code after the <head> tag in index.template.php file of your current theme.

For example:

<head>
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({
          google_ad_client: "ca-pub-****************",
          enable_page_level_ads: true
     });
</script>

drewactual

Quote from: rhnegativeforum on January 30, 2019, 07:20:48 AM
Thank you to all of you for your replies. I was under the impression that with Automated Ads, I just add a code and Google decides where to place ads. No penalty risk. My question would be where to add that Google code to cover the entire forum. Within a month or two, I am going to make the main part of the forum public. So what I want to do is simply add the code so ads will start appearing where Google thinks they should be placed.

if you want to put it there temporarily just to see how it looks/flows with the page you should be okay.. but if you put it in the forum and it isn't accessible by the public for any amount of time you may get kicked out of the program before you even get started (couple months). 

rhnegativeforum

I still don't understand why Google would add automated ads on a page they cannot read. I don't think they do that. I did however hear that there is a way to give Google a login/access to membership only pages.

I have decided that out of the two major sections on my forum, I will make one public, keep the other private. Is there a short tutorial somewhere to save me time figuring out how?

rhnegativeforum

Quote from: Mick. on January 30, 2019, 07:28:49 AM
If your forum is private as a guest, google can't access either to read your website so it can show relevant ads. Not sure if that's a violation but i've been fooled before.

Anyways, copy and paste the autoads code after the <head> tag in index.template.php file of your current theme.

For example:

<head>
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>
     (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({
          google_ad_client: "ca-pub-****************",
          enable_page_level_ads: true
     });
</script>
Thank you, Mick.

Advertisement: