"Global" Tag

Started by Davros_Dalek, January 30, 2019, 05:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davros_Dalek

Hi

I am looking for a way to tag multiple people in a post at the same time so they get an email notification, rather than tagging a dozen people individually. Is there a way to do this perhaps using membership of a group ?

Craig

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No. And I wouldn't recommend doing this anyway. Any email you send without the recipient actually asking for it, is basically asking for trouble in the long run.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Davros_Dalek

Thanks for your reply.

So you are saying No, it can't be done ? Not even through some sort of group membership ?

The members ( recipients) are asking for it, its a private room on our forum for club committee members to use and we want them all to get notifications when something new is posted or replied to without having to tag in 12 people.

Craig

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If they all want this, then they can individually subscribe to receive notifications from a board or topic of their choosing.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Davros_Dalek

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 30, 2019, 07:24:23 AM
If they all want this, then they can individually subscribe to receive notifications from a board or topic of their choosing.

I totally agree, however they are as computer literate as a box of rocks and i need a nice simple way to help them do this.

Can this be done or not ?

Craig

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Not without modifications.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Davros_Dalek

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 30, 2019, 08:57:54 AM
Not without modifications.

Do you know of any plug in type off the shelf mods to do this ?

Craig

Arantor

Nope and even if there were, they would be borderline illegal in Europe anyway.

landyvlad

Quote from: Davros_Dalek on January 30, 2019, 08:42:52 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on January 30, 2019, 07:24:23 AM

I totally agree, however they are as computer literate as a box of rocks and i need a nice simple way to help them do this.

As admin you can surely go into their profiles and do it for them
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Illori

Quote from: landyvlad on January 31, 2019, 12:45:28 AM
As admin you can surely go into their profiles and do it for them

you cannot do this as admin. as it has to be done per board or topic.

Arantor

And again I remind people that if even it were possible, it could well be illegal to do.

landyvlad

Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2019, 09:13:32 AM

Noted, but unsure how it could be illegal to stop someone getting notifications for a particular board.

Then again, it is...

::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Dzonny

In theory, if we setup a group so anyone can join it, and state that admins can subscribe them to topic of interest, so they'll receive notifications (via email), and they agree to such condition, would that work? Then create a mod that would allow admin to subscribe particular membergroup to topic or to "tag" them, or whatever. Or I misunderstood that GDPR thing :P

Arantor

Quote from: landyvlad on February 06, 2019, 06:59:57 AM
Quote from: Arantor on January 30, 2019, 09:13:32 AM

Noted, but unsure how it could be illegal to stop someone getting notifications for a particular board.

Because that isn't the problem. What is illegal is sending out notifications without an opt in, as in you as an admin cannot just go signing users up to notifications, they have to choose themselves.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Dzonny on February 06, 2019, 07:12:12 AM
In theory, if we setup a group so anyone can join it, and state that admins can subscribe them to topic of interest, so they'll receive notifications (via email), and they agree to such condition, would that work? Then create a mod that would allow admin to subscribe particular membergroup to topic or to "tag" them, or whatever. Or I misunderstood that GDPR thing :P
Theoretically, that could work. I wouldn't count on that holding up in court though, as the group description can be edited, and it's hard to prove they actually chose to become a part of that group only to receive email notifications, when they could have just subscribed to boards and topics of interest directly.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Davros_Dalek

All this just to tag a group of people that want to be tagged easily.

Forgetting the whole is this illegal thing, can somebody tell me how to do this please ?

Arantor

Sorry, no, I can't help with that on the basis of legality.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would suggest you advice your users to use these built-in features themselves.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: