News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Move to VPS has created a database error

Started by North East Man, February 01, 2019, 03:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North East Man

My host moved my site from shared hosting to a VPS yesterday.  All apparently went well except that there was this error thrown up after login
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Expression #3 of SELECT list is not in GROUP BY clause and contains nonaggregated column 'xxxxxx_smf225.mes.subject' which is not functionally dependent on columns in GROUP BY clause; this is incompatible with sql_mode=only_full_group_by
File: /home/xxxxx/forum.mysite.co.uk/Sources/BoardIndex.php
Line: 133
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The central list of all discussion boards did not show.  Essemntially all i had was the top row of tabs.

They logged in and fixed the problem by "Turning off the ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY functionality in sql_mode".  Everything worked as it should.

The problem is, it has come back again this morning.  Same error.  As I am on day one of having this VPS I am at a loss as to where to go and what to do to fix this.  I have messaged the hosts support team, but they have not got back to me yet.

In very simple terms, can anyone advise what steps I need to take to solve this?  How do I turn off ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY functionality in sql mode?

Arantor

You change the my.cnf file to not include it. Where that will be and exactly how to change it is dependent mostly on your server distro...

North East Man

Many thanks.  The hosting company have just gone in and made that adjustment for me.  Now I just need to learn how to do that for myself as part of the learning process.

Advertisement: