News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Need Help About Creating Mass Boards

Started by coolindark, February 15, 2019, 02:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolindark

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to open a huge forum with around 80 boards with 1000 sub-boards. I have all names, however adding them one by one will create a massive time loss. Is there any way to create mass boards like for example with CSV file?
Or maybe a mod can be helpful also, however i could not find any information and the best solution is SMF experts here :)

Thanks.

Arantor

I'd be curious why you need 1000 boards, unless you already have content to put into those 1000 boards.

A forum with 1000 boards seems like a great way to drop stuff into a black hole never to be found again.

coolindark

Actually not at all,

The forum will have information about my Country's all cities and districts and will aim locations like shops. So it will be around 1000 districts.
People in the forum will know which board they will need and exactly which sub-board they will search.

Thanks for your feedback.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

While the idea seems clear and simple, if not for anything else then for performance reasons, you may want to concider cutting down the number of boards.
For example, how about a board for each province (or similar larger area) and a sub-board for each city. Going any smaller, ie. to district level, seems like a bad choice in terms of usability and performance.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

and no... there is no currently defined method to mass create boards.

It could be done, if you can code it, but you'd have to write a separate script for it.

However, I join with the people telling you that your concept is not a good idea. I understand your reasoning, but believe that - as Arantor points out, the actual implementation will indeed be a black hole for anything except the most active sub-boards.

Also, if you are just starting on a forum setup, you should probably NOT plan to use the RC version - but instead use the current fully supported version (2.0.15)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

coolindark

Thanks for your replies. Since there is no option for mass board creation and there will be performance issues, it looks like i have to stick with cities only (which will cause around 90 boards) and let people to separate districts with tagging.

I can create 90 boards manually and tagging can be managed by board moderators...

Good idea?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

br360

You could also use this topic prefix mod which is a good alternative to adding a bunch of boards and is really good for tagging topics

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4038

coolindark

Thank you very much. I'm gonna investigate and work on it.

Cheers

Advertisement: