News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What's up (or down)?

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, February 15, 2019, 11:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

>:( Forum's been very slow at times past few days, couldn't get on at all last night.  Just had another slow load.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I've been struggling with the same issues, and I've also made it very clear to our dear CoreISP. But just minutes ago, we reached a point where it seems to work better for me at least - So if you were the victim of the same issues, perhaps it'll be better for you too? Here's hoping ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

"Those who live in hope ....."

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I am working with CoreISP and reporting issues I run in to. :) If you do see actual failures of sites loading, and not just slow loads, please do post back :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Right now it's erratic, some slow loads, others normal.  Page load stats are incorrect both ways.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Same here for the most part. And personally I'm only guessing it might be a DNS issue of some sort - but we are looking in to it.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

LiroyvH

From what I suspect as I'm seeing this behaviour in other places (domains) and hearing about it from other people (as in colleagues) seeing similar issues, it raises the suggestion that there is something wrong with Google DNS (which your provider may rely on to process your DNS lookups.) or some routes there. Like a flashlight, they can come and go even within a second from the previous query. I can't reproduce the issue myself from the Netherlands, but when trying to query from the US I can see the problem occurring when running nslookup/dig. What's even weirder is it doesn't affect all domains, which is what you would expect. It might even work fine for virtually any domain on a given nameserver, except for a couple random domains. It simply refuses to process or shows the flashlight effect. (And nope, not a DNSSEC issue.)

Try switching your computer to OpenDNS for a little while to test, it should work splendid.
I'm afraid there isn't quite anything we can do about that but wait for it to resolve itself. Fortunately, it appears the impact is rather minimal.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Mick.

I too seen this past 3-4 days.

Sir Osis of Liver

Still slow, only seeing it here.

- R. Waters

LiroyvH

New day. Let me know how it works for you today. :)

Tricky-Ricky

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Been better for me today, though I"ve still seen a few slow loads.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Mick.

drewactual

i'm still seeing it load slow or time out.

GigaWatt

Quote from: CoreISP on February 15, 2019, 05:17:23 PM
From what I suspect as I'm seeing this behaviour in other places (domains) and hearing about it from other people (as in colleagues) seeing similar issues, it raises the suggestion that there is something wrong with Google DNS (which your provider may rely on to process your DNS lookups.) or some routes there.

Me too, I was talking about this with colleagues and it seems it's a DNS issue related to Google. My own forum had similar issues recently like the ones reported in this thread (site loads forever, in some cases it doesn't but when it does load, load times are drastically off... they indicate a regular load and this happens each time the site load is slow, so this leads me to believe the same thing CoreISP is thinking and some of my colleagues have confirmed about the sites they're frequently visiting - DNS problems).

Good thing I talked about this and didn't just open up a support ticket with my current hosting provider, LOL :D. Don't want to hassle the guys for no reason... besides, as it turns out, I seem to know a bit more then their tech support... at least about some problems :P :D (had an issue before, opened a ticket... basically, I told them how to fix it ::) :D).

Meeeh... that's what you get for $12 a year... well, as long as the server is running and up to date, I don't care, I'll solve their (my :D) problems from time to time, LOL :D.

Quote from: CoreISP on February 15, 2019, 05:17:23 PM
I can't reproduce the issue myself from the Netherlands, but when trying to query from the US I can see the problem occurring when running nslookup/dig.

I seem to be able to reproduce it on my own forum. Open up a browser, load the forum, the load is slow. Afterwards, everything works fine. Close the browser, don't visit the site from that same IP for, oh... 15, 20 minutes or so, load it again, bam, site loads slow again.

It seems to be happening only if you stay idle or leave the site and don't load anything from it for (from what I've concluded) at least 15 minutes. If you keep loading pages from the site, everything works fine after the first slow load ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: GigaWatt on February 16, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
It seems to be happening only if you stay idle or leave the site and don't load anything from it for (from what I've concluded) at least 15 minutes. If you keep loading pages from the site, everything works fine after the first slow load ;).
Yup, this is what I have been seeing as well. And this morning started off the same. But once I got in, now everything works well.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: GigaWatt on February 16, 2019, 10:01:33 PM
Yep, sounds about right.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

efk

This is 3rd or 4th time that SMF is successfully loaded in about 100 attempts last 2-3 days. It was like site is not available for my location at all.

LiroyvH

Thanks for the reports. Please do let us know how it performs starting from now.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on February 17, 2019, 01:02:22 AM
Yup, this is what I have been seeing as well. And this morning started off the same. But once I got in, now everything works well.

Yeah, same here ;). I kinda got used to it actually, might even miss it when they finally fix the issue, LOL :D.

Quote from: efk on February 17, 2019, 08:45:03 AM
This is 3rd or 4th time that SMF is successfully loaded in about 100 attempts last 2-3 days. It was like site is not available for my location at all.

This might be related to your ISP (and the fact that it might be completely dependent on Google's DNS'es). Try and load OpenDNS'es name servers in your router's config, should work fine ;).

Quote from: CoreISP on February 17, 2019, 10:10:31 AM
Thanks for the reports. Please do let us know how it performs starting from now.

No prob ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: