Help with � U+FFFD "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER"

Started by woolly bugger, February 15, 2019, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolly bugger

Apostrophes  are showing up as � U+FFFD "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER"  after upgrading 2.0.15 --> 2.1

how do I fix this...

Database server
Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server type: MariaDB
Server connection: SSL is not being used 
Server version: 10.2.12-MariaDB-log - MariaDB Server
Protocol version: 10
User: ***removed by moderator***
Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)[\quote]

thanks..

Arantor

Were the posts where this happening copied from Microsoft Word or similar into the editor?

woolly bugger

that may have been the case... I just saw several of them popping up on the board....

finally went in to edit them and discovered that they were caused be a double closed quote ...

Arantor

Word's "smart quotes" don't behave nicely for many reasons, but were these posts from before or after the upgrade?

woolly bugger

both... new and old post, never noticed the problem before... just came to my attention when a new post showed the "?"

various characters are causing the issue such as the è derri�re

Arantor

Interestingly this was supposed to be permanently fixed in 2.1 :(

woolly bugger

Interestingly a user who's log on name was in part "cūlus" could no longer log on, User Name not found error!

I had to change his name to gain access....

woolly bugger

it also appears that some of the post with the � U+FFFD "REPLACEMENT CHARACTER" were made via the TapaTalk interface...

woolly bugger

Ok, I found another one of the problem post that appeared correctly prior to 2.1

The post appears blank, I go into modify and there you see the (?)

I edit they to an ' and then hit save!

I get the duplicate message error and go BACK and then save again any only then does to post appear as it did prior to 2.1

Advertisement: