How to set up a test site?

Started by StarredSkies, February 18, 2019, 05:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarredSkies

I'd like to create a test site for my website using CPanel. As of right now my website is set up as 2.0.15 but I would like to have a test site w/ 2.1 RC1 to determine the differences and see what modifications are compatible. Since this is my first time setting up a test site (and running a site in general), I could use some guidance. How do I create a test site? Any tips or tricks?

The most recent thread I found was this but honestly, I'm kinda lost. Like I said, it's my first time y'all :'(

Sesquipedalian

If you have FTP access to your hosting account, then just use your favourite FTP client to connect, create a new folder named "smf21test" inside your web documents folder (on a typical Linux host running CPanel, this is probably ~/public_html, so the new folder would be ~/public_html/smf21test), and upload the SMF 2.1 files into that folder. Then in your web browser go to http://www.example.com/smf21test/install.php (replace "www.example.com" with the domain name of your website, of course).
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

StarredSkies

Will try and get back to you. Thank you, Ses!

StarredSkies

Worked perfectly! Unfortunate that a lot of my essential modifications don't work on 2.1... Looks like I'll be sticking with 2.0 for a LONG time until a lot of them are replaced. A bit disappointed, but I'll get through it.

Mick.

That because most mod and theme makers haven't updated their stuff to work with rc1. Give it time. Many are waiting for rc2 and gold to do so.

Sir Osis of Liver

Found four 2.1 themes on theme site.  Have to make a minor fix in theme_info.xml to install them, but all work fine in RC1.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

StarredSkies

Definitely. I'm going to wait and see if things can update properly. Thank you. <3

Lovely! I'll check it out.

Advertisement: