Odds and sods

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, February 21, 2019, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 01, 2019, 07:31:42 PM
Caching seems to be different in 2.1, code changes in theme and source files are not applied immediately, if at all.  Caching is disabled in Server Settings.  I can delete blocks of code and nothing changes.  What's causing this?

Toggle the "Minimize CSS and JavaScript" option.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Antes on June 02, 2019, 07:24:35 AM
But its designed by a cat :|

Had a good friend was a cat, died back in the 80's.  I get along quite well with cats.  Cats don't give a ******, and neither do I.

Quote from: shawnb61 on June 02, 2019, 11:29:22 AM
I don't see anything like this...   Are you sure you don't have some form of server caching enabled?

Only happens in 2.1, maybe something to do with the theme.

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on June 02, 2019, 09:47:57 PM
Toggle the "Minimize CSS and JavaScript" option.

It's checked by default.  Disable it?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Oldiesmann

Disable the option, save it, then enable it again.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Sir Osis of Liver

Ok, did that.  Will see what happens next time I get around to modding 2.1.

Have to close/open browser to see changes. >:(

- R. Waters

shawnb61

Or consider leaving the auto-minimize setting disabled.

I think that would be helpful in a dev environment.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sesquipedalian

Yes, as the help text for the minimization setting says, it is a good idea to turn it off while making changes to your forum's theme files.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sir Osis of Liver

Flipped off/on, it was still balky for while, then it cleared up and I mangled code for a couple hours without a problem.  No idea why.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Having nothing better to do, Sir Osis is continuing his on again/off again efforts to like 2.1.  Today we're looking at cleaning up ACP (it's a mess :P).  Someone had the good idea of making a cpanel style menu, but all the clutter at top of page pushes it down offscreen, so you can't see it.  Didn't know it was there til around beta 2, when someone mentioned it and went looking for it.  You have to scroll down to see it, and if you're using scrollwheel, you get hung up in announcements window (every time >:().  It's THE BIG NEW THING, so why hide it?  I think ACP looks/works much better like this -

Files attached, try it.

No need to thank me, doing good is it's own reward. O:)

- R. Waters

landyvlad

Changes I can see:
1. Removal of verbose guff about Administration Center.
2. Moving support information and 'live from simplemachines' to the bottom of the page ?

My opinions
1. I agree completely - that can be in user guides or whatever. No need for it to be there on the admin page at all.
2. Utterly makes sense to have at the bottom as I look at those very rarely.

Are there any other changes I've missed?

Can we expect ths in RC3 perchance?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Oldiesmann

I personally don't care one way or another, but the news and version info is shown at the top because it's important.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Sir Osis of Liver

Admin news is like stickies, good idea, but nobody reads them :P.  The welcome message up top is useful first time you go to ACP, but it's just clutter thereafter.  At minimum, it should be collapsible (Sir Osis was too lazy busy to do that).  The cpanel style menu is a good idea, and should be right there when you go to ACP.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: landyvlad on June 17, 2019, 11:06:45 PM
Can we expect ths in RC3 perchance?

Don't hold your breath.  The basic 2.1 ui has not changed since alpha, it was pretty much set in stone from the getgo.  Suggestions involving any significant changes were very unwelcome.

- R. Waters

landyvlad

Well I suppose once everything is out in the wash, and 2.1 final is released - you could offer this as a mod - whether officially or just by offering relevant code / files for people to DIY.

Thumbs up from me.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Sir Osis of Liver

I'll do that if there's any interest.  Had done same modification in alpha, back in 2015, posted files, no one was interested enough to d/l them even once.  Don't want to do too much until it goes final, they're still chasing bugs, just tinker with it when I have time to kill.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

I've disabled admin security, still have to reenter password. >:(

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 19, 2019, 11:02:51 PM

i have mine disabled and dont have to re-enter the password to enter the admin panel... i dont know what the issue is that you have.

SychO

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 19, 2019, 11:02:51 PM

Well, there's moderation center security and then there's admin center security, perhaps you disabled one and not the other and you thought it's not working.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The usual magical IT-support solutions may also sometimes actually work. Try turning it on and off again. :P
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Moderation security has nothing to do with admin security (it didn't in 2.0), but I'll try disabling it.

<sigh> Still wants admin password with both disabled.  Same thing on out-of-box and modded installs.

- R. Waters

lurkalot

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on July 21, 2019, 12:07:35 AM
Moderation security has nothing to do with admin security (it didn't in 2.0), but I'll try disabling it.

<sigh> Still wants admin password with both disabled.  Same thing on out-of-box and modded installs.

Just out of interest, was your Moderation Security enabled by default?  Reason I ask, is I reported an issue with it ages ago, and fix is going into final, https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/5481

Advertisement: