News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Slow responding with new posts

Started by zakallin69, February 22, 2019, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zakallin69

Hi, what could be the issue when writing a post it takes long to show up in forum?
When someone replies to it there's no delay.

Kindred

smf version?
URL?
mods installed?

Is a cache installed in your hosting/server?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zakallin69

Quote from: Kindred on February 22, 2019, 09:13:47 AM
smf version?
URL?
mods installed?

Is a cache installed in your hosting/server?

SMF version 2.0.15 and only mod installed is Prettyurls.....what you mean with that URL? Sorry, but no clue because soooo noobie with SMF.

edit: and that cache thing also doesn't ring any bell here  ???

zakallin69

Any advice what i can check out in this?

Arantor

Does it show up in the forum after a few minutes? If so, it's actually working as intended; the system doesn't look at the database live, it takes a snapshot and uses that to limit the amount of resources it needs to do things on your host (so that you can handle growing larger without any problems)

But for now though you can turn the cache off in Configuration > Server Settings > Caching.

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on February 23, 2019, 06:20:39 AM
Does it show up in the forum after a few minutes? If so, it's actually working as intended; the system doesn't look at the database live, it takes a snapshot and uses that to limit the amount of resources it needs to do things on your host (so that you can handle growing larger without any problems)

But for now though you can turn the cache off in Configuration > Server Settings > Caching.

Thanks for reply...... yes it shows up about after minute or so. I try to disable that caching and see if it makes any difference.

Arantor

It'll make it show up immediately, on the downside that your forum will take more resources than it did before. Fine when just starting out but if caching were turned off on a larger site, you'd need to pay for more expensive hosting very quickly.

zakallin69

Thanks again Arantor....... so if I disable that cache now and some point i turn it on again, what happens then?
I mean will there be some problems then in the forum posts?

Arantor

You'll go back to seeing delays of a few minutes, but if it means you don't have to pay for a dedicated server until you actually need it, that's a good thing, right?

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 04:06:33 AM
You'll go back to seeing delays of a few minutes, but if it means you don't have to pay for a dedicated server until you actually need it, that's a good thing, right?

Understood that. I'm only admin in friend's forum because he asked, and that site is on paid hosting platform so maybe i check for a while how much traffic etc there will be and can i keep that cache disabled.

Arantor

Probably up until the host tells you you're using too many resources (which depending on hosting might not be much) and that's one of the big ways to reduce usage of server resources.

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 04:15:18 AM
Probably up until the host tells you you're using too many resources (which depending on hosting might not be much) and that's one of the big ways to reduce usage of server resources.

Hmmm....sad I'm not familiar with these things that much. Maybe its better keep that cache on.
Reading posts similar like this and someone said that will help, any comments on this :

go to:  admin>configuration>server>sessions and cookie
de-select : "Allow browsers to go back to cached pages"

Arantor

Completely separate thing, best left alone.

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 04:36:56 AM
Completely separate thing, best left alone.

Thank you for that, I thought so too.

Advertisement: