News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Bug? All day calendar events shown on previous date

Started by TurtleKicker, February 24, 2019, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleKicker

I think I found another bug!

When creating a calendar event, if you set it as an all-day event, on the monthly calendar view the event is show as occurring 1 day earlier than the set date. Events with a specific start-end time display on the correct day.

Can someone else confirm before I file a bug report? I don't see one already in Github

Arantor

albertlast

Arantor

There was a specific bug I was thinking of with the assignments being off by one... in German I want to say. Wasn't sure if it was only that language or not.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 03:21:24 AM
What language are you using?
English. :P

Quote from: albertlast on February 24, 2019, 04:09:50 AM
Could be related to timezone.
I think that was it. I misunderstood the timezone settings, and did the wrong thing to get posts to appear with the correct time. I think I sorted it out, and now posts are the right time and the beforementioned calendar issue is gone.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

landyvlad

I'm having the same issue for full day events.
Can you be more specific about the timezone issues please?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: landyvlad on February 27, 2019, 11:21:36 PM
I'm having the same issue for full day events.
Can you be more specific about the timezone issues please?
The timezone you set in SMF has to be the actual TZ your server is located in. Not what your TZ is.

I had accidentally set it to my own TZ, then set the adjustment amount to correct it, and while things seemed ok after that, the calendar issue arose.

You may have to check with your webhost to find the actual local TZ of your server. Or experiment until it's correct (make sure your TZ for your server profile is set correctly for your own local TZ).

landyvlad

Ah ok thanks

using a fixed hours offset isn't helpful though.

The server is located in a nearby daylight savings zone, where I am not.  So sometimes my local TZ will be the same as the server and sometimes not....
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

albertlast

Just for my understanding,
What would be expected behaviour when you place a event for a full day let's say 28.2.

When some else got a outset of -1 hour to you?
Should he see the event from 27.2. 23:00 till 28.2. 23:00?
Or from 28.2. 0:00 till 23:59 (please had I'm mind the offset can larger)

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 04:14:24 AM
There was a specific bug I was thinking of with the assignments being off by one... in German I want to say. Wasn't sure if it was only that language or not.
What was that? I used to occasionally see events spanning multiple days kept coming short on 1. Then you'd edit it and it would get cut off by 1 again. I had to make 7 day events last 8. But this on 2.0, I have not tested it in 2.1.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

There was a bug recently where in the language pack, all the days were off by one; SMF needs day 0 to be Sunday but in one language pack it was someone Monday.

Gwenwyfar

"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

PoML

I have the same issue.
All full day events and all holidays are off 1 day.

It seems also that user logon-times are 2 hours behind actual time.
I have checked that both the PHP.info and server settings in SMF say timezone "Europe/Oslo", which should be correct.

PoML

Update:  changing all users in the database from UTC to the strangely named timezone "Antarctica/Troll CEST", it works ok.
However, that timezone name must be an internal joke that was just left there by mistake?

Quote from: PoML on May 09, 2019, 07:03:38 PM
I have the same issue.
All full day events and all holidays are off 1 day.

It seems also that user logon-times are 2 hours behind actual time.
I have checked that both the PHP.info and server settings in SMF say timezone "Europe/Oslo", which should be correct.

Arantor

PoML

Yes and no...
Central European Summer Time (CEST) isn't really described best by the Norwegian research station Troll, is it?  But OK, technically it isn't wrong, but it is more common to name the capitals that use this time zone?  See  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Summer_Time

On a more serious question: When all users have to have a summer- time zone manually set now - what when we return to regular (winter) time? 
Do I as admin need to reset this user setting twice a year unless we want full-day events and holidays to appear on the wrong date 6 months every year?

Dag

Quote from: Arantor on May 12, 2019, 06:21:51 PM
No joke. It really is called that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(research_station)

Northern Ireland

I discovered the same bug in my recently installed smf today. 

posted events are a day off

m4z

Quote from: Northern Ireland on October 27, 2019, 09:42:12 PM

The OP wrote he/she incorrectly had an offset configured (which is problematic, because it is added to both the forum TZ and the user TZs, if your users have set them (explanation in a different bug report)). Instead what has to be done is to set the forum TZ to the actual server TZ, and instruct all users to set their personal TZ.

Does this also apply to you, or are you seeing a different bug?

PS: Also see this issue: The calendar events are in UTC; so if your current time is corresponding to sometime "yesterday" in UTC, that might explain why the event is off.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

PoML

Actually, roughly 50% of all-day events will be "yesterday" in a random user/forum timezone...
The system would be more resilient if all-day events were stored with the time noon that day rather than 0 hours :-)

Northern Ireland

Quote from: m4z on October 28, 2019, 02:41:24 AM
Quote from: Northern Ireland on October 27, 2019, 09:42:12 PM

The OP wrote he/she incorrectly had an offset configured (which is problematic, because it is added to both the forum TZ and the user TZs, if your users have set them (explanation in a different bug report [nofollow])). Instead what has to be done is to set the forum TZ to the actual server TZ, and instruct all users to set their personal TZ.

Does this also apply to you, or are you seeing a different bug?

PS: Also see this issue: The calendar events are in UTC [nofollow]; so if your current time is corresponding to sometime "yesterday" in UTC, that might explain why the event is off.

thanks for the reply.

I always found the whole timezone issue confusing.

I experimented today - after reading the other thread re this issue - I set my timezone to my server's location (Chicago), which is the same timezone as where I and my users are based (Central America) and lo and behold, when I posted a new test event, it worked perfectly.  Date was correct.  Yehaaaa!

But on further testing, the same issue was still occurring for my users.  So I had to this afternoon, go and change every one of their profile timezones (Forum Profile > Look and Layout) to the "Forum Default"     Now they work fine too.

Would it not be wiser, if the timezone option was removed and any new registrant was automatically set to "Forum Default" ?

Advertisement: