News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Bug? All day calendar events shown on previous date

Started by TurtleKicker, February 24, 2019, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

No... that would not be wiser...

It's important to configure your server and software correctly to avoid issues. The very flexibility of the system which allows people to do things also allows some people to screw things up....  doesn't mean we should make the system less flexible
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

m4z

Quote from: Northern Ireland on October 28, 2019, 08:21:06 PM
Would it not be wiser, if the timezone option was removed and any new registrant was automatically set to "Forum Default" ?

I wouldn't remove the option (a forum could be national or international by design), but provide options to the admin to...

• "default users to forum TZ",
  • "default users to TZ X",
  • "default user to (GeoIP?-)detected TZ of the user"
  • etc.(?)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

PoML

Quote from: Kindred on October 29, 2019, 12:07:20 AM
No... that would not be wiser...

Agreed, but this is an issue mostly because all negative value timezones present all-day events with the wrong day.
A lot more people would figure out (or not bother with) an hour or two of wrong time, and would actually start looking for summer/wintertime and then timezones.

But when "4th of July" always occur on the 3rd of July in my calendar it looks plain wrong even though the timezone adjust the time with a full hour from 0 hour to 23:00 the previous day...

Coding all-day events to be stored at noon would mean all time zones would still keep the date correct.

Kindred

Except that you are incorrect.

I just checked, using EDT (UTC-4)
Set an event for Oct 31, all day.
In my calendar it appears as Oct 31.

Because my timezones on my server and my forum are set correctly.
https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?action=calendar;viewmonth;year=2019;month=10;day=29
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

PoML

Incorrect?

Sure it is correct if everything is set up correctly - I have not said otherwise.
What I said was that if my timezone (as a user or even admin) is not set correctly, it takes more time to find the error when 4th of july happen on 3rd of july, as it is not an expected behaviour for a 1 hour wrong offset.

Dag

Arantor

The only valid solution is to handle all day events as a special case and don't tie them to timezone because I assure you trying to fudge it with the 'do it at midday rather than midnight' would seriously break if I tried to use this at work - given that in any given day, I'm in the UK, I talk to people in New Zealand (+12/+13), and no amount of tweaking is going to fix that an all day event needs to be handled differently.

However... events tied to hours need to be treated with timezones and no amount of arguing is going to change that fact, even for regional events, because you *have* to implement timezones for that. Especially if your event is in Arizona, US. Or Ohio. Or any of the other places where you can drive for 10 minutes and change timezone and where the time matters.

PoML

I fully agree - the optimum solution is to have full day events treated differently.  The tweak would work in most cases though, as the max difference from a given point to a timezone any other place on the world is 13hours, with fewer and fewer users looking for events the further they are geographically from the place it happens.

The rest we fully agree on - that is just a matter of making tools for the admins to set forum and help users set timezone correctly.

Quote from: Arantor on November 11, 2019, 04:29:29 PM
The only valid solution is to handle all day events as a special case and don't tie them to timezone because I assure you trying to fudge it with the 'do it at midday rather than midnight' would seriously break if I tried to use this at work - given that in any given day, I'm in the UK, I talk to people in New Zealand (+12/+13), and no amount of tweaking is going to fix that an all day event needs to be handled differently.

However... events tied to hours need to be treated with timezones and no amount of arguing is going to change that fact, even for regional events, because you *have* to implement timezones for that. Especially if your event is in Arizona, US. Or Ohio. Or any of the other places where you can drive for 10 minutes and change timezone and where the time matters.

Arantor

Actually it's not 13 hours. The scale fully runs from Samoa (UTC-11) to Kiritimati (UTC+14), but there's possibly a shortage of internet at both extents! But even so it's very possible to have 20 hours difference - Los Angeles, US (-8) to Auckland, NZ (+12)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: