Like/Dislike feature

Started by natcip, February 24, 2019, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natcip

Hello,
A Like/Dislike feature for SMF would be awesome. :) I know there are modifications for likes only, but not both likes and dislikes.

This is what it looks like on Tapatalk

Arantor

SMF 2.1 has a likes feature built in, and dislikes were not introduced deliberately as it has a habit of generating bad feelings in communities.

Dhayzon

karma can fulfill this purpose

Arantor

Not really, no. Karma is per person, not per post - and karma habitually breeds people dividing quietly into groups and upvoting their friends and downvoting their not-so-friends. Likes are on posts, encouraging recognition of content rather than the person - and yes, you still get people upvoting their friends but it's more obvious and that makes it a little less likely to be a thing in practice.

Karma has also been removed from 2.1 and likes were added.

natcip

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 10:21:06 AM
SMF 2.1 has a likes feature built in, and dislikes were not introduced deliberately as it has a habit of generating bad feelings in communities.
Yes, for serious forums like this one. But not every community is the same.

Arantor

Why do you think Facebook haven't introduced a dislike feature? Same reason.

I spent a long time over the decision whether to include dislikes in 2.1 and concluded it was not worth the hassle it would inevitably generate. (I'm the person who included it)

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

I spent a long time over the decision whether to include dislikes in 2.1 and concluded it was not worth the hassle it would inevitably generate. (I'm the person who included it)

Indeed. If Dislike was added many users would abuse it. It is the nature of the beast :D

Arantor

Think of it also this way: why are there no mods for dislike when there are already multiple different like solutions? (And I think I wrote two of them)

Gwenwyfar

In the spirit of keeping things mostly the same as they were in the original forum I was helping, I did have a likes/dislikes bar (green with red, in percentages), and sure enough, everyone abused that.

What is curious to note is that once I duplicated the likes mod into it, to also show the user names, everyone suddenly stopped using it for dislikes, because then, their name was to shame. There were less likes too, but not any considerable difference. Even then, some posts or people would get slammed by everyone else now and then, and that served no purpose other than making the situation worse.

I wouldn't do it again on any forum of mine, serious or not.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

natcip

Generally I understand the point. However in my case, a lot of my forum users have repeatedly asked for that feature (back). Until 2015 we were on Zetaboards where liking or disliking posts was possible and was well received. I don't recall any abuse.

Gwenwyfar

If you consider it "use as intended", really, it isn't any abuse. Doesn't mean it does anything other than stir a bad vibe among members, however.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Well, unfortunately I think you're not merely out of luck right now, but likely to remain so for a good while, sorry.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: natcip on February 24, 2019, 05:52:52 PM
Generally I understand the point. However in my case, a lot of my forum users have repeatedly asked for that feature (back). Until 2015 we were on Zetaboards where liking or disliking posts was possible and was well received. I don't recall any abuse.

Is this a paid request btw? If it is, you can contact me in private. I can develop such a mod for you.

digger

Quote from: natcip on February 24, 2019, 05:52:52 PM
Look at Karma descripton mod https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=192

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on February 24, 2019, 05:16:38 PM

+1

Dislike is pointless. Unless the intent is to purposefully create a negative environment. Negativity drives people away.

Advertisement: