Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Started by supastoked, November 13, 2005, 02:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supastoked

Hey folks,
I am getting the following error when i try and add a new post:

Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.
No subject was filled in.
The message body was left empty.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Cheers
Chris

Orstio

Do you have a URL?

What version of the bridge do you have installed?

supastoked

hi orstio,
it is the joomlahacks bridge (Joomla-SMF Forum 1.0.2a). I will was under the impression that it wasnt an issue with the bridge, but rather smf itself. i initially tried setting smf up using ur bridge, but was having a hard time getting it to work in the site. i dont mind scrapping the joomla hacks version and trying the official bridge again, if that will help.
regards,
chris
(ps, i will pm a link to the site - still in heavy development and i dont want it "live" yet)..

Orstio

supastoked

hi orstio,
thanks for the reply. maybe you can clear something up for me, with regards to the two different versions (yours and the joomlahacks).
what is the actual difference between the two? i have read loads of posts about the two and all say different things.

there was alot said about the joomahacks version and removing the copyright (is that still an issue, as the latest verion has the copyright intact?).

i've also read that yours is the officially supported version (which is why i initially chose it) and that it is able to run on it's own database, which i am assuming would be a good thing for performance tuning at a later stage?

how tightly integrated is your version? i would really like the interaction between the forum and the site to be as seameless as possible..

like i said before i am happy to trash the current install and start over using the official bridge, i just need to understand the core differences between the two, so i can decide on which will be suite our needs now and in the future.

regards,
chris

supastoked

Sorry, something i forgot to mention..

I just remember the main reason i went with the JoomlaHacks version..  He clearly states on his site that his version is ready for the latest version of Joomla! and that there was an updated version of the smf-login module and discussbot.. Is your version Joomla 1.0.3 ready and does it come with the module and discussbot?

Thanks again,
Chris

Orstio

All bridges that I have written come with their own login module.

The 3.19 bridge requires a small change to allow logins to work correctly in Joomla:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=20952.msg358837#msg358837

The bridge that will be released when SMF 1.1 RC2 is released will be fully compatible with both Mambo and Joomla out-of-the-box.

As far as a discussbot is concerned, I recommend this one by Chadness:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=53555.0

supastoked

Hi Orstio (again),
Not sure if you missed the post i made before regarding the difference between the two bridges.. I just need to understand which will be better suited to our environment and whether their are any issues from SMF-Lewis Media for us to use the JoomlaHacks version.

Also, where can i get a copy of the 3.1.9 bridge and does it come with instructions about the change that is needed for it to work on Joomla!...

I am still a bit unsure about which version to go for, as i like the idea of having the support and backing from the SMF community (as apposed to one person) but the joomlahacks version seems a bit more tuned and working as a complete product.

Your thoughts on the above would be much appreciated..

Regards,
Chris

Orstio

The main differences between 3.19, Joomlahacks bridge, and the upcoming 3.20 are:

- Joomlahacks' bridge is easier to install, as 3.19 requires a four-step installation process.
  This is solved in 3.20, which requires only one installation step.

- Joomlahacks' bridge modifies numerous files in both Joomla and SMF.  3.19 makes two small changes to two SMF files.  3.20 will make no changes to either.

- Joomlahacks' bridge migrates users from Joomla to SMF upon login, and from SMF to Joomla.  3.19 migrates users only from SMF to Joomla.  3.20 will migrate users both ways upon login.

- Joomlahacks' bridge requires that you install both Joomla and SMF in the same database.  3.19 can be installed in multiple databases, and 3.20 will be the same in that respect.

3.20 will also come with a number of enhancements, like integrated profile changes (changing email, password, name, etc. is automatically handled in both) and integrated member admin options (like deleting and registering users).

supastoked

Thanks Orstio,
Thats put it all into perspective nicely ;D

What is the expected release date for 3.20?  Just wondering whether it will be possible to wait it out, or if i am going to have to move ahead so long with 3.1.9 :)

Cheers
Chris

Orstio

3.20 will be released at the same time as SMF 1.1 RC2.  There are some typos in SMF 1.1 RC1 that prevent it from functioning 100%.

supastoked

Hi Orstio,
Do you have an idea of when 3.20 / 1.1 RC2 is due to be released? The reason i ask, is the only thing i am concerned about is the fact that the 3.1.9 bridge doesnt migrate users from Joomla. I am just trying to think of how to work around this, as all the users on the site will be going to the forum from Joomla, not the other way around.

Is their a way of manually synching the users, until 3.20 is released? I really would like to go forward and install your bridge, but just need a bit of reassureance that by doing so, i will still be able to have users synched properly..

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions - your feedback is much appreciated!

Regards,
Chris

Orstio

New users don't need to be synched.  You just use the bridge registration, which looks very much like the Joomla registration, but inserts users into both Joomla and SMF.

Users that already exist can be migrated with the mos2smf script:

http://mamboforge.net/frs/download.php/6246/mos2smf1.1.zip

supastoked

Orstio, you are a legend!! Thank you soo much for answering all my tedious questions  :D
I am going to scrap the existing setup and start from scratch first thing tomorrow morning..
Hope you have a super week!
Cheers
Chris

Advertisement: