SMF connection error

Started by pulp999, February 28, 2019, 10:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulp999

Hi, I'm getting this message:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I uploaded repair_settings.php and when I run it it says value not found next to database...recommended setting MYSQL

Do I need to set MySQL somewhere?

vbgamer45

Yes, check your settings_bak.php file might have the old information in there.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

pulp999

I tried that....exactly the same result

pulp999

I attached my screenprint from repair_settings.php

Sir Osis of Liver

The mysql error doesn't necessarily mean anything, it's often displayed by repair_settings when there's no problem.  Check your database settings in cpanel, your host may have changed something.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, no - if you see that error there is a problem.
You are right though, that the problem may be on the hosts side.

You can also try uploading a settings.php file from the installer package, and running repair_settings twice. First to correct all the DB settings, then to correct all the rest of the settings as needed.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: pulp999 on February 28, 2019, 10:47:34 PM
Hi, I'm getting this message:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I uploaded repair_settings.php and when I run it it says value not found next to database...recommended setting MYSQL

Do I need to set MySQL somewhere?

This error usually occurs when the database details are not entered correctly at the settings.php file. Double check them to make sure that they contain the correct details. If that is the case, then contact your host. It might be that either they are doing some maintenance work in their servers.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 01, 2019, 12:40:05 AM
Well, no - if you see that error there is a problem.

repair_settings reports the error often on many of the servers I've worked on, sometimes it's the problem, usually it's not.  Something else triggers the error (don't know what), once everything else is fixed error clears.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I can understand that, though I haven't encountered that myself - but this was basically what that was aimed at.
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 01, 2019, 12:17:04 AM
it's often displayed by repair_settings when there's no problem. 
May be I misunderstood what you meant to say.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Haven't been able to replicate it on test install, next time I see it will try to run it down.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: