Need help installing to my new NameCheap server.

Started by Catherine Constantine, March 07, 2019, 03:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherine Constantine

Now I extracted the files to the public_html folder set up already on my host since I thought that was the place I install them to but whenever I go to the install.php file I always get this error message.

"This page isn't working." "...didn't send any data." "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

The files were given the permission of 644 and folders the permission 755 by default.

I already made a database but didn't get to the installation step where I input that information, obviously.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Dzonny

When you get into public_html folder (with FTP client or File manager) can you see install.php file there?
Those errors sounds like you have some DNS problems with your domain though.

Catherine Constantine

Quote from: Dzonny on March 07, 2019, 07:42:34 AM
When you get into public_html folder (with FTP client or File manager) can you see install.php file there?
Those errors sounds like you have some DNS problems with your domain though.

Yes, I can see the install.php file.

Sir Osis of Liver

Did you update dns settings for your domain to point to new namecheap server?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Catherine Constantine

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 07, 2019, 04:21:29 PM
Did you update dns settings for your domain to point to new namecheap server?
I didn't think I need to since the domain was registered at Namecheap. I selected the domain when I got the server.

Bigguy

Sometimes there is a parking page that needs to be turned off.

Sir Osis of Liver

The domain is registered with namecheap, but dns settings must point to correct server that hosts your new account.  You have to confirm that in domain settings.

- R. Waters

Catherine Constantine

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 08, 2019, 11:07:30 AM
The domain is registered with namecheap, but dns settings must point to correct server that hosts your new account.  You have to confirm that in domain settings.
I assume I would check these settings under "DNS Zone Editor" which is the only thing I see under their Cpanel.

Sir Osis of Liver

No, it's not in cpanel.  There should be a separate area for managing domains.  On my host it's in Client Area, domain registrations are usually separate from hosting.  You're looking for Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2.

- R. Waters

Catherine Constantine

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 09, 2019, 05:40:17 PM
No, it's not in cpanel.  There should be a separate area for managing domains.  On my host it's in Client Area, domain registrations are usually separate from hosting.  You're looking for Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2.
Would it be this one? I went to domain, nameservers, and then went to custom dns settings. It was set on Namecheap BasicDNS.

Sir Osis of Liver

You have to get the correct nameservers from your host, and direct the domain to the server that houses your forum.  Host support should help you with this.

- R. Waters

Catherine Constantine

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on March 09, 2019, 11:58:02 PM
You have to get the correct nameservers from your host, and direct the domain to the server that houses your forum.  Host support should help you with this.
I have no idea where to find the name servers. Is this because when I purchased the shared hosting I selected to use one of my namecheap domain names at the get-go?

Catherine Constantine

I can't edit my previous post?

Also, I contacted their support chat line and they helped me out. It said the forum installed correctly but now it's not appearing. (URL: friendmecca.org [nofollow])

LiroyvH

When you buy a domain + shared hosting at the same party, you should indeed not have to worry about the nameservers.

There are files missing in your SMF install, such as the important index.php.
I'd recommend re-uploading the files properly so you're sure everything is there.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

Advertisement: